Book Bargains.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
There's a bit of poetic justice to these huge book chains going out of business as it wasn't so very long ago that they squeezed the life out of the small independent bookstores.

It's interesting also that in the US, Borders (who haven't latched on to the selling of eBooks) is struggling, while Barnes & Noble (who have) are fairing better.

Jan 12, 2011
Alas,Germany
Borders closed down last year in Northwood.It was a real bummer,as I was visiting my sis and had planned on going there,I used to love it.They closed down real quick,too,the week before it was still there and then woomph there it wasn´t anymore. We looked in through the windows,all books still there,but just shut down from one day to the next.
I thought they had withdrawn from UK completely?

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Well if bloody stupid Borders hadn't bought out OUR Angus and Robertson (an Australian company that has been here for 125 years I might add) it might still be going!!!!!! Angus and Robertson i mean.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ahhhhhhhhhhh..... well see Borders US... has gone into receivership... and Borders US took over Angus And Robertson a while ago.... (Borders US owns A & G now) so since Borders US has gone into receivership.... A & G is going under with them.... and the same reasons as you said... they didn't embrace internet selling.

Nevermind.... :laugh:

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
chris.ph said:
deldaisy said:
:cry: One of our largest book retailers is closing down..... its the one that always has the Terry Pratchett ones :cry: Books are expensive here apparently compaired with the rest of the world. And more people are buying them off the net. So sad.
its happening over here as well del, one has closed in swansea and the other is struggling nationwide, amazon is winning, i dont mind its cheaper for me i just cant browse anymore
Is it my imagination, or are there less 'old fashioned' second hand book stores around as well? I used to be able to spend hours browsing through them, breathing in that musty atmosphere and smell that only hundreds of really old books seem to be able to generate.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Penfold said:
Is it my imagination, or are there less 'old fashioned' second hand book stores around as well? I used to be able to spend hours browsing through them, breathing in that musty atmosphere and smell that only hundreds of really old books seem to be able to generate.
There are still pockets that survive, Cheltenham, Norwich and Bristol still hang on but the joy of a real secondhand bookshop where anything could be found and which gave rise to the idea of LSpace is sadly dying. I love them and treasure time spent perusing shelves looking for that golden find and with 4,000 books here most of which have come from these very types of shops I miss them a lot. :cry: :cry:

User Menu

Newsletter