Discworld TV/Film adaptations, ranked

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Clem Peppermint

Lance-Constable
Jun 11, 2024
Australia
Quick correction: Although Christopher Lee did play Death in the 90s animation and in The Colour of Magic, in Hogfather, the role was voiced by Ian Richardson (who unfortunately passed away before they had shot The Colour of Magic).
Oh wow there was an animated series? Lots of good viewing material for me :laugh: Thank you!

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Soul Music is the better of the two animations, in my opinion, but I am biased because I liked the music and I could almost identify which artists and songs were being alluded to. As music, they were just as allusion-filled as the book, and good music as well! Also, I was lucky enough to get the CD with the complete versions of the songs, not just the snippets in the video.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Wow, this is wonderful! I absolutely adore Christopher Lee and Sean Astin both in LOTR and the series, and I really feel that they were perfect for their roles :) Thanks for the super insightful reply!
Ooh! :) If you enjoyed Christopher Lee, and you liked LOTR, then you're in for treat. Look up "Christopher Lee Tolkien Ensemble" on YouTube. Here's a little taster - Christopher Lee as Treebeard! :)

Oh wow there was an animated series? Lots of good viewing material for me :laugh: Thank you!
Yes! :) Two of Terry's books -- Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters -- were animated by Cosgrove Hall, the same people who animated Danger Mouse. Look them up on YouTube, and I'm sure you'll find them. :)

Only You Can Save Mankind did actually get a full adaptation... as a stage musical! I know very little about it because it was so long ago and I don't think it's ever been done again.

There are indeed TV shows of Johnny and the Dead and Johnny and the Bomb. I've not watched them, unfortunately. Same goes for Truckers - I know it exists, just never seen it.

Then of course, there's Good Omens, and The Amazing Maurice, two recent adaptations that are very good. And another, which shall not be named, which isn't.

Clem Peppermint

Lance-Constable
Jun 11, 2024
Australia
Thank you all so much for your replies! It's amazing how many film adaptations of the Pterry books there are, like I said, lots of good viewing material to keep me occupied :) Also, RathDarkblade, I never knew that Christopher Lee was Treebeard!! Time for a rewatch of the series... :laugh:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Just FYI - Christopher Lee didn't play Treebeard in the films. He just sang Treebeard's song with The Tolkien Ensemble, who are a group of people that took all of Tolkien's songs and set them to music. :)

They're on YouTube. Gosh, EVERYTHING is on YouTube these days. =P

User Menu

Newsletter