Doubtful

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I went to Goodreads, which had a free sample on Kindl.
He's no Sir pTerry, but I will wait until I can read more than a dozen pages,
before completely rejecting it.

Last edited:

Jan Karlsson

Lance-Constable
Aug 20, 2024
UK
I mean, I’ve written a very clear love letter to Sir Terry and Douglas Adams, but even if it were published, I wouldn’t want ‘the natural heir to Terry Pratchett’ on it.

That’s just begging for Failure to come knocking and just shake their head and walk away as you answer the door.

He was, very definitely, one of a kind.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I mean, I’ve written a very clear love letter to Sir Terry and Douglas Adams, but even if it were published, I wouldn’t want ‘the natural heir to Terry Pratchett’ on it.

That’s just begging for Failure to come knocking and just shake their head and walk away as you answer the door.

He was, very definitely, one of a kind.
Very true. You don't want to be compared to STP for another reason: it sets you up for millions, if not billions, if STP fans to roll up their sleeves, quirk an eyebrow quizzically, fold their arms and tap their foot a la Tiffany Aching, and say in an arch voice reminiscent of Granny Weatherwax, "We'll see." ;)

I realise, of course, that the whole "natural heir" thing is a marketing device. I mean, the back of STP's books (at least the early ones) included a quote that said he was "as witty as Wodehouse" etc. It's a natural thing to compare authors to other authors. Humanity likes to see patterns. :)

And Jan, you're not alone. The first book I've written (not yet published) was influenced by a whole range of writers, STP among them. It is, again, natural for a writer to see themselves as "a bit like Pratchett" or Wodehouse or Asimov or someone. But the most important thing as a writer is finding your own voice. Otherwise, all you're doing is flailing about and (at worst) quoting or (at best) paraphrasing someone else. Obviously, finding your own voice isn't simple, and requires decades of reading other authors and seeing what you fancy sounding like, and then years and years of practice. No author starts out sounding polished -- just look at what STP wrote about "The Hades Business". :)

But I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, so I'll shut up now. *blush*

Jan Karlsson

Lance-Constable
Aug 20, 2024
UK
But I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, so I'll shut up now. *blush*
Indeed, but it doesn’t hurt to say it again for anyone else reading.

In my defence, I’ve written a lot of stuff in a lot of genres and I just got a hankering to try and do something Pratchett/Adams-esque. For fun. It turned out well, I think, but even so nothing and no-one can compare to either of those writers. Unique is not a word out of place or overused when talking about them.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Fair enough. I only hope your story didn't have any nuclear missiles that unexpectedly turn into a bowl of petunias, or slices of lemon wrapped around gold bricks, or something explicitly Adams-esque like that. :)

What is your novel about, Jan? I'm simply curious. Can you give us a one-sentence (or one-paragraph) summary?

In my first full-length novel, I tried a few Pratchett-esque touches -- i.e. essentially exploring (and demolishing) fantasy tropes, a la The Colour of Magic. ;) But unlike TCOM, my novel explores the meaning of family, the search for love, and so on -- plus a lot of fun fantasy, and how it might work in the real world. :)

I wrote several summaries, but I don't have them to hand, so here's one I just created.
Stephen, an ordinary shepherd's son, wants to become a bona fide hero, but a host of obstacles stand in his way -- and soon, his world is turned upside down. Can he find his way through a myriad options, solve the mystery of his existence, and find true love?

What do you think of this? Just curious. :)

Jan Karlsson

Lance-Constable
Aug 20, 2024
UK
Sure. It can only ever be a shadow of far, far, far greater books, but, like I say, it’s just for fun.

It’s called “The Archivist’s All-knowing Almanac” and it’s basically about the search for riches, recognition, power and even knowledge can often prove illusory and self-defeating. And shenanigans. There’s shenanigans.

I’ll put the blurb in spoiler tags.

There's nothing more dangerous than a book, especially in the wrong hands. And, in this world of magic, wars and an alarming number of self-serving, gratuitously selfish people, there are a lot of wrong hands to take advantage.

When the world's foremost mage, Anpound Pudbatter (fresh from a magical accident that had turned him back into a teenager with all the associated raging hormones) meets Gammer Goodhiding, the world's most polite, yet indefinably terrifying witch, and Bindi, a Druid who almost has a filthy mouth, they come together to search for an object that could very well spell the end of the world as they know it. Or change it in ways they cannot imagine.

From the intermittently high Mount Pintel, to the vast, unending Library, to the indeterminately located city of Lost Vagueness, where hope, and Coin, go to wallow in despair, to the world's most important, prominent, and tiniest city, the three of them must follow the magical chaos wrought by the presence of the book. And with warlords bent on conquest, thieves out for a quick score and a djinn with a mischievous attention to detail in the way, things may not go quite according to plan.

And what, exactly, is the origin of the book? Only The Archivist's All-knowing Almanac knows for sure.

A love-letter to the works of Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.

Yours sounds fun. Pratchett did love his ordinary folk doing extraordinary things. Usually reluctantly, but they did them.:)

Last edited:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Goodness me -- Jan, your blurb is lots of fun, but a bit long. It does have to fit on the back of a book, you know. :)

Yours sounds fun. Pratchett did love his ordinary folk doing extraordinary things. Usually reluctantly, but they did them. :)
Heh. "Ordinary folk doing extraordinary things" isn't unique to Sir Terry! :) It's been said that modern fantasy started with JRRT's "The Hobbit", and what is Bilbo but a very ordinary hobbit who does extraordinary things? :)

My protagonist is cut from a similar mold, I suppose. (Warning: very concise plot summary coming) ;)

Stephen is an shepherd's son who wants to become a barbarian hero, despite having no qualifications other than knowing how to use a sword ... a bit.

But once his mind is made up, Stephen must challenge a tyrant, enter a dreadful labyrinth whence none have ever returned alive ... and put up with endless japes at his expense.

Getting a date with the spiky Euthaleia -- and figuring out his own identity -- would be nice, too.

Can it be done? (And what kind of name is Stephen for a barbarian hero, anyway?)

All shall be revealed, once I manage to find an agent (grumble). ;) What do you think? :)

Jan Karlsson

Lance-Constable
Aug 20, 2024
UK
Oh, it’s never going to be published. No, no, no. Never ever … ever.:eek:

It’s only going to see the pits of various online platforms, so the blurb doesn’t need to be smaller. But, I get it. It does go on. A bit like me. :mrgreen:

Your blurb sounds good. Totally sounds like the kind of thing I like and says all it needs to say. ;)

Last edited:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
It does go on. A bit like me. :mrgreen:
I get it. :) Fantasy novels do have a reputation for being on the longish side, ever JRRT wrote LOTR. :mrgreen:

I think mine is just over 90,000 words (about 250-260 pages of double-spaced paragraphs), which is kind of short. I know agents and publishers for the fantasy genre won't accept anything over 100,000 words, but considering how long LOTR was, I was a little disappointed. (Well, not really) =P

Your blurb sounds good. Totally sounds like the kind of thing I like and says all it needs to say. ;)
Thanks! :) Now if only I could find an agent who would say the same ... ;)

Jan Karlsson

Lance-Constable
Aug 20, 2024
UK
I think mine is just over 90,000 words (about 250-260 pages of double-spaced paragraphs), which is kind of short. I know agents and publishers for the fantasy genre won't accept anything over 100,000 words, but considering how long LOTR was, I was a little disappointed. (Well, not really) =P
My longest was c.170k words. I thought it would never end! :laugh:

But TAAA is just under 90k and that’s just fine for me because I‘m not looking to go pro with my stories, so I can basically write whatever length I feel comfortable with. I think humorous stories shouldn’t outstay their welcome, though. When they get too long it’s like you start wondering “Should I be laughing here? I think I’m supposed to laugh. Maybe I can get away with an amused smirk?”. ~shrugs~ :mrgreen:

But for stories you intend throwing out to agents n’ stuff, fantasy tends to be 120k+, and a lot of SF is getting that way, too. Romance? Forget about it! You can knock out a 70k romance novel and some publishers would snatch your hand off. :roflmao:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm ... how about a history/mythology blend that can double as fantasy? ;) That's the genre I'm working with.

It means I can still have as many swords and axes and bows etc. as I like, but magic is a bit (well, a lot) more limited. :)

On the plus side, I can choose any setting I like, and most readers will know instantly what I'm talking about. (I doubt there's anyone alive who isn't at least vaguely aware of the Vikings, or the ancient Greeks and Romans. :mrgreen: And if there is anyone like that ... well).

Jan Karlsson

Lance-Constable
Aug 20, 2024
UK
Hmm ... how about a history/mythology blend that can double as fantasy? ;) That's the genre I'm working with.

It means I can still have as many swords and axes and bows etc. as I like, but magic is a bit (well, a lot) more limited. :)

On the plus side, I can choose any setting I like, and most readers will know instantly what I'm talking about. (I doubt there's anyone alive who isn't at least vaguely aware of the Vikings, or the ancient Greeks and Romans. :mrgreen: And if there is anyone like that ... well).
Well, Bernard Cornwell’s “The Last Kingdom” (historical, but hints at magic with the Britons) sits between 120k and 144k words (depending on the word counter). Then again, he’s famous and can basically write stories any length he chooses.

That’s one of the reasons I don’t want to get published. I write until the story comes to a natural end and someone saying “Meh. Needs another 30k words.” would bother me.

I like stories that have magic as something not well used/known. And who doesn’t like a decent AU history with the occasional fireball? :laugh:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Fair enough. Just curious: have you ever read a fantasy (or historical fantasy, historical mythology, etc.) where something comes out of nowhere, and makes you sit up and ask "Where the heck did that come from?" ;)

I'm not talking about obviously ridiculous stuff like fantasy heroes who inexplicably have tanks, or ancient Britons who sit down to tea. (Obviously, Asterix is exempt from this). ;) I mean, for instance, a protagonist who suddenly has knowledge of things he/she shouldn't, or a poor man in (say) ancient Greece who pulls out a comb and a hand-mirror to brush his hair. (Sigh ... I can believe combs, they were fairly common -- but a hand-mirror? Sorry). =P

I've even come across serious books (i.e. not parody -- and published on Amazon, no less) that had:

- A medieval knight who opens his visor ... and smokes a cigar *facepalm*

- An ancient Roman senator ... who dresses in a three piece suit and tie ... and eats pizza. *double facepalm*

- A medieval Duchess who says "Howdy, pleased to meetcha, I'm Caroline." *facedesk*

- A Renaissance lady who talks about her "bad hair day", and says "It's so bogus, innit." Umm ... shall I go on? :rolleyes:

I'm just asking because, obviously, I do my research to stay away from such howlers, but I'm just wondering: how the heck did this rubbish ever get published? ;)

Jan Karlsson

Lance-Constable
Aug 20, 2024
UK
You get that a lot on Wattpad and it takes me right out of a story. Fantasy stories where they talk about ‘bathrooms’ as in toilets. Or people going to school. Like a proper school with jocks and geeks and stereotypical Americanisms. And these stories have literally millions of reads and votes. But, even though it’s not for me, some people obviously get enjoyment from them, so ~throws hands up in surrender~

More professionally, when I first glommed onto the fact that the Shannara books were set in the distant future, that lost all interest in them for me. Maybe if it had made it clear earlier, I dunno. It just broke my immersion. :rolleyes:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm, wasn't sure what Wattpad is, so I googled it:

Wattpad is a social media service where writers and readers can share stories, comment on stories, add profile comments and send and receive private messages to one another.
Now it makes sense. They're all writing parodies. ;) But, yes: there are no bathrooms or toilets in a fantasy setting, and -- I guess? -- nobody wants to read about, um ... bodily emissions (to put it politely).

As for people going to school ... in a fantasy setting??? ... well, there are such things as guilds, and I presume some guilds would have the equivalent of jocks and geeks. (Lord Vetinari was a geek in the Assassins' Guild, and Lord Downey was a jock, ditto. But not in the American sense, obviously).

Now there is an interesting thought: how about a school for Necromancers? Or Barbarian Heroes? "Now, class, what did we learn from what Thog the Indescribably Violent did?"

Class of wannabe barbarians (in unison): "You do not use your barbarian rage on the poor lunch-lady. Or the fried fish." =P (Please ignore the blinking, sizzling sign that says "Parody" in huge letters) ;)

Obviously I wouldn't write like that for something I was intending to publish or anything professional. But it's a kind of fun. *shrug*

I haven't read Shannara before (or any Terry Brooks, sorry). I did recently read The Toyminator, which was fun. :)

User Menu

Newsletter