Least favourite Discworld book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Pearwood

Constable
Feb 21, 2011
MongoGutman said:
I thought UA was too much orc - the ankh-morpork-ethnic-diversity-thing is getting tired...

and not enough football - and the football presented was too far removed from the modern game to actually say anything about it
I would agree with that. Slim as the premise was, the scenes involving the wizards playing football was when the book was at its best. But instead there was more focus on the orc stuff (a retread of Men at Arms/Feet of Clay) and The Shove (a retread of Music with Rocks In).

A

Anonymous

It is amazing to see, though, that UA seems to be the first book to actually split the discworld community. And the first one where I heard in more than one place that it reads like badly written fanfiction (and I sadly have to agree, it does)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
I enjoyed it but got the impression its a book leading to something else, a build up book of sorts.
It'll be interesting to see how much Snuff is a lead on from a few of the themes in UA.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
LilMaibe said:
It is amazing to see, though, that UA seems to be the first book to actually split the discworld community. And the first one where I heard in more than one place that it reads like badly written fanfiction (and I sadly have to agree, it does)
Not the first one by a long way. And Making Money was much worse.

I may have said somewhere else that I thought there was too much happening in UA. There were too many threads to the story, happening to too many characters. I felt that it never really came together for this reason.

A

Anonymous

Tonyblack said:
Not the first one by a long way. And Making Money was much worse.

I may have said somewhere else that I thought there was too much happening in UA. There were too many threads to the story, happening to too many characters. I felt that it never really came together for this reason.
On the note of MM: How the heck did that book actually end o_O
I read it, twice, and yet...last thing I remember was there was something about 4000 golems...but after that the plot's a dark, blurry mess to me ...

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
That was one of the real problems for me - the ending. I didn't like it at all and it didn't make sense.

I won't go into details here for fear of spoilers, but you might look at the Making Money discussion that we did HERE. :)

A

Anonymous

Tonyblack said:
That was one of the real problems for me - the ending. I didn't like it at all and it didn't make sense.

I won't go into details here for fear of spoilers, but you might look at the Making Money discussion that we did HERE. :)
*goes to check* Thanks

(and heck, saying plot was a blurry mess for me says a lot. Normally I'm pretty good at getting what's going on, no matter how bad something's written...)

On a further note on UA:

I think it is NEVER a good sign when all of a sudden (almost) all characters a reader has ever met come together in one story (seriously, who WAS absent in UA? Didn't even the characters from Pyramids and MR get a mention?)

A

Anonymous

poohcarrot said:
From Pyramids? Who? I don't remember that. o_O
Not certain, that's why I'm asking. But i had the feeling everyone was there or at least mentioned.

On yet another sidenote on MM and UA: Say, did I miss something or is the Cabinet of Curiosity nothing but a plotdevice paraphernalia if you look at it closely?

in MM all it actually did was to provide something that in other stories was as easily done with regular research (mostly offscreen)
and in UA: the same. why get a ball from the thing? why not just say the old rules mentioned a round, bouncy ball or ancientamphoras etc? why have the CoC there?

btlfannz

Lance-Corporal
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Because I have found the activity in the 'drum a bit slow lately, I've been trolling through The Shades (so to speak) of past threads and some of the more erudite ones.

Having read now every post in this thread I would like to make an observation that you may disagree with or find contraversial. It goes like this.

With Terry You can either have an hysterically funny book that nearly causes you to have "an accident" because you have laughed so hard, or you can have an absolutely cracking tale that has so much depth you have just got read it in a single sitting.

Apparently, and this is only my opinion, you can't have both. Wintersmith, Maurice et al, Night Watch and Nation (in particular) are brilliant stories but a bit thin on laughs.

Wee Free Men, Soul Music, Moving Pictures and Witches Abroad are not all that deep but by the Gods did I laugh!!

Now if this hypothesis has any validity, it does raise a couple of questions that you might like to ponder. What is the funniest of the books and which is a 'cracking good read'(Let's call that CGR)

One final observation. If in fact what I am proposing stands up then where is the breakpoint (if there is one). Well IMHO it happened with Hogfather. After that I just enjoyed the storyline hugely but never ever laughed so hard as I did with the previous books.

What do you think?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
In one of the interviews with Terry that Sjoerd posted HERE, Terry talks about the humour in the books and that to have 'lightness' you also need to have 'darkness'.

When I first started to read the books I went for funny. But funny is only funny so many times. And thoughtful (I'd say rather than dark) lasts longer and has more rewards.

For quite some time, Moving Pictures was my favourite book - because it was funny and had clever movie references. But I would now list it as one of my least favourite - because there's very little depth in it. It's almost like doing a crossword puzzle and then rubbing out the answers and filling it in again and again. Once you've got all the jokes and references, the book falls flat.

So I'd prefer substance to humour any time. :)

Pearwood

Constable
Feb 21, 2011
btlfannz said:
With Terry You can either have an hysterically funny book that nearly causes you to have "an accident" because you have laughed so hard, or you can have an absolutely cracking tale that has so much depth you have just got read it in a single sitting.

Apparently, and this is only my opinion, you can't have both. Wintersmith, Maurice et al, Night Watch and Nation (in particular) are brilliant stories but a bit thin on laughs.

Wee Free Men, Soul Music, Moving Pictures and Witches Abroad are not all that deep but by the Gods did I laugh!!
With respect I really don't agree with you there. I think there's plenty of Discworld books that are both hilarious and gripping reads:
Mort
Pyramids
Witches Abroad (I disagree that it's lacking in depth)
Men at Arms
Soul Music (again I disagree with you on this one)
Interesting Times
Feet of Clay
Hogfather
Carpe Jugulum
The Truth

I would also say humour can make a book more gripping. The depressing atmosphere in Night Watch didn't really make me want to follow the (in my opinion, not all that engaging) story. Looking at more serious books, Small Gods succeeds in having a deep, thought-provoking story, but there's definitely a lot more humour evident than in most of Terry's recent offerings.

Of course with Unseen Academicals I feel it fails on both counts.

Tonyblack said:
When I first started to read the books I went for funny. But funny is only funny so many times. And thoughtful (I'd say rather than dark) lasts longer and has more rewards.
Interesting. I'm quite the opposite. If I'm re-reading a DW book (and I would only do so once every few years) I tend to enjoy the funny ones more, mainly because I tend to have forgetten the incidental jokes while as the dramatic thrust of the book stays with me more.

A

Anonymous

I, too, would say that what makes a DW book great is the right mixture of comedy and drama.

Nightwatch, to go with that example, was not a great read to me, simply cause it was a tad too dark and serious. (And I found carcer to be one of the most annoying and boring villains in the whole series)

Soul Music and Hogfather, for another example, are within my top 10 list, simply because they take themes we think we're familiar with, dissect them, twist them around, show us how wrong we were and yet give us all candy.

Teppic

Lance-Corporal
Jan 29, 2011
Outskirts of Londinium
Tonyblack said:
In one of the interviews with Terry that Sjoerd posted HERE, Terry talks about the humour in the books and that to have 'lightness' you also need to have 'darkness'.

For quite some time, Moving Pictures was my favourite book - because it was funny and had clever movie references. But I would now list it as one of my least favourite - because there's very little depth in it. It's almost like doing a crossword puzzle and then rubbing out the answers and filling it in again and again. Once you've got all the jokes and references, the book falls flat.

So I'd prefer substance to humour any time. :)
Completely agree. But of course they're not mutually exclusive as some other people suggest. And whilst I prefer the daker books to the funny ones that's just personal preference; I think what REALLY matters is how the humour is used.

Books which are funny with less serious "substance", like Moving Pictures or The Truth, work because they flow well and are very good parodies of particular industries. I think Going Postal and Making Money (I know you're not keen on the latter Tony) do an even better job of this and seem to have more substance behind them; maybe that's because the city and the characters are more established but maybe - and I think this is also true - it's because TP relies less on "magic" in the later books which seem to involve much more character development (compare Victor Tugelbend in Moving Pictures who's pretty 2D to MvL's first appearance in Going Postal).

But the point is, I think, the two sides of the coin - funniness and seriousness - work best when they're constantly playing off of one another and the narrative isn't interrupted for a funny moment. In other words, when the line between the two is blurred, because the novels flow better when this is the case. And sorry to go back to my bugbear but that's why I really didn't like Reaper Man. The forced "funniness" of the shopping malls parachuted into a tale with real substance about Death and Mrs Flitworth annoyed the bejusus out of me! I don't care about the bloody shopping trolleys, go back to the story!!

{and breathe....}

Jan 1, 2010
I think I agree with you in general BT but disagree on the details

so I wouldn't class Hogfather as a CGR for example

I also think one of the most interesting things about this thread is that there are very few of Pratchett's books that don't have someone who will vehemently defend them as soon as someone else classes them as the worst (I think the exceptions are COM and LF)

As far as UA is concerned - I think Glenda's storyline is brilliant and the first time I read it I was laughing out loud.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Teppic said:
And sorry to go back to my bugbear but that's why I really didn't like Reaper Man. The forced "funniness" of the shopping malls parachuted into a tale with real substance about Death and Mrs Flitworth annoyed the bejusus out of me! I don't care about the bloody shopping trolleys, go back to the story!!
Agree 100%. Reaperman was a good book until the ending with the shopping mall. I think that must be the worst ending to any Discworld book. :laugh:

Jan 1, 2010
I find the Death and Mrs whatsit storyline of Reaperman uninteresting but think other bits of it are very funny and the shopping mall is quite a good comment on modern life.

Pearwood

Constable
Feb 21, 2011
Doughnut Jimmy said:
I also think one of the most interesting things about this thread is that there are very few of Pratchett's books that don't have someone who will vehemently defend them as soon as someone else classes them as the worst (I think the exceptions are COM and LF)
I think it's unfair LF is always lumped together with CoM. It's a hell of a lot better in my book. o_O

User Menu

Newsletter