Least favourite Discworld book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Thought you were wading in for a debate Pooh . Reading back i might be wrong. :laugh:
Just thought you were out for revenge for the pyramids comments :laugh:

Mar 6, 2011
Leeds, England
Hello to you all.

I have to say that over the years my faves have changed with my moods, and for a long time i couldn't "get" the witches. I also had trouble with Carpe Jugulum.

Now though, i dont think there is a book i dislike the least, other than maybe UA, its a bit of a grind, but still enjoyable.

As for a fave, Well i think Night Watch, very dramatic and moving and fantastically written.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site, consoledelight! :laugh: I'm the same - the books have somewhat shifted position and continue to do so over the years.

I really didn't much care for Small Gods when it came out - now it's my favourite.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
captainmeme said:
Despite the way it looks upon religion, I'va always thought Small Gods was brilliant... It's really imaginative.

I've never really liked the witches though. I couldn't get into the stories at all. It's the same with Tiffany.
I've known very religious people who like Small Gods. One of them used to give sermons based on the book. :laugh:

The real message of the book is - by all means believe in a god, because if everyone stops believing then the god ceases to exist. But It also says, that as a human, it's important to think for yourself and decide what is right or wrong for you.

rockershovel

Lance-Corporal
Feb 8, 2011
I'm not sure of that.

Brutha appears to me to be a "true believer" who actually follows the spirit of the scripture, rather than Vorbis ( who is an intolerant zealot of the worst sort ) and Om himself, who has little knowledge of, or relation to, the religion founded in his name.

Sgt Simony is a convert who ultimately has little idea of WHY he believes that "the turtle moves" other than kit seems "to work for him"

I'd say it is questionable whether any of them show independent thought, and the throw-away gag at the end about the multiple schisms formed around Brutha's actual words implies that they are ALL wrong

Werewolf87

Lance-Constable
Mar 22, 2011
Making Money, plain and simple. Mainly because I could never warm up to Moist.
And there is The Truth which I never even finished reading. But that was some years ago, I might give it another try.

TwoShotTino

Lance-Corporal
Mar 19, 2011
Aylesbury
I'd have to say I shall wear Midnight, only due to the fact it's the ONLY Discworld book I've put down after starting to read it. I'm actually now sat reading it to try and finish it and I started reading it the day it was released :eek:

User Menu

Newsletter