So, you've discovered Discworld...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It occurred to me that many of the new members joining here have only just discovered Discworld and Terry's books. Maybe you've just read one and wanted to know more. Or you found the experience so intense, you wanted to share your experience with other junkies. :laugh:

I must confess that, as someone who has been following the series right from the start, it's a bit difficult for me remember what that experience of reading Discworld for the first time is like.

So - a few questions for new readers:

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?
2. What was your first Discworld book?
3. Will you read more?
4. Which one do you intend to read next?
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

AM

Constable
Oct 22, 2009
Sweden
I have been reading the books for about 2 years so I consider myself a newbie ;)

-I was at Victoria Station (London) on my way home and went into the book department at WHS and made my way to the Fantasy shelf and saw the covers and thought they looked like fun, so I bought two books, the Colour of Magic and Wintersmith. It was just a coincidence, but a very good one :laugh:

-Wintersmith

3. Will you read more?
-Absolutely :laugh: I have 9 books left of the Discworld books and almost all the non-Discworld books

-Whichever I get for my Birthday 8) It will probably be one about the Watch

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary
-No, I didn´t. At least not when I read it myself but when I made an oral bookreport of it in school and the teacher started asking questions that could not be answered with only Wintersmith as a reference I just felt the urge to read more and get to know the whole Disc :laugh: It was easy to understand the book even though I had not read the two previous ones with Tiffany but Wintersmith got much better when I had read the first ones.

I´m really really happy I found these books. They are great and I just want more! :laugh:

AM

Constable
Oct 22, 2009
Sweden
No problem Tony :laugh: It was just fun, I mean two years ain´t that much but still it was a bit hard to remember everything.

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
1 and 2: I read my first Discworld 4 years ago. I was just browsing around a bookstore and having never heard of Discworld. I read the blurb and decided to buy the Last continent.
2. I then went on to read about 25 or so from the series and so I still have a good few left to read.
3. I have not read Thud or Masquerade, so I will read them and also try some of his other books.
4. I started to read the series in a completely hotch-potch order, but that was fine. the only series I read in the right order were the witches.
Unseen Academicals is my favourite to date.

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
I friend recommended them so I borrowed Feet of Clay from the Library
Feet of Clay in (I think) 2007
3. Will you read more?
Yes, have read a lot more already :laugh:
Non-Discworld Truckers, Discworld probably Going Postal
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
Not really although it might have been beter if I started with Guards! Guards! or Men at Arms to have some more background knowledge about the Watch. It didn't stop me from enjoying the book and I've been hooked on Pratchett ever since :laugh:

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
So, you've discovered Disworld

I read Going postal after playing Reacher Gilt (not bad for a girl, hmm.. make that woman of a certain age) after appearing in a local AmDram last year. We also raised a lot of money for Althiemers which was good.
I then read the book. I never do things the right way round!

I was given a used Colour of magic because a friend didn't like it (most odd) and ...boom :cool: I now have the lot and have read them all at least twice so far. :laugh:

Jingo and the Fifth Elephant tie for first place. :p

I intend to read THUD! next. That is my very nearly first choice, thereby a very very very VERY close second. Yep that close.

Discworld I found easy once I realised how ludicrously enjoyable the stories were...even the sad and thought provoking bits.

Jul 25, 2008
Newport
I guess I'm a noob as most of you have kept up with every book release whereas I took a few years off.

A friend at school suggested him. I had a go and it was okay. I think I missed half the humour though. That was 18 years ago but there were no other DW books in the library. My dad found Truckers in a sale and the TV series came on TV shortly after that. I then started reading them again 5yrs ago.

Mort.

3. Will you read more?

As they are released yes!

Currently re-reading Eric

I read a few out of order and eventually went back to Colour of Magic and went through them in order as and when I found them in libraries and book shops (can't order online, its no fun)
Background knowledge didn't seem important as each book has its own story rather than relying on past knowledge/books but then I had a fair idea of the world in which I was about to plummet into.

I have found the various events a great place to meet new friends and urge anyone new to get along and have fun. I find the plays (and now the films) immerse you quite well into the world. Don't read Harry Potter after reading about Rincewind and the wizards, it's nowhere near as good or funny.

I am a book addict. Terry Pratchett was just one author among a cast of far too many. It was my way to escape from the horrible-ness that my world was. I needed that, at that time. Colour of Magic, Thief of Time and The Light Fantastic had intrigued me.

Later, when I became unable to work and horrifically depressed... I rediscovered Monsieur Pratchett! I began to devour every book I could get my hands on. I would laugh until I cried and cry until I laughed again. His writing got me through an extremely tough time and helped with my counseling because I was able to identify with the characters.

I am much better now, and am functioning pretty well. I still adore Terry's work. I like all of it in it's own way.

I watched The Color Of Magic movie, and, having remembered the name of Terry Pratchett, I picked some up from my local library next time I was there

Hogfather, followed shortly by The Truth.

3. Will you read more?
Absolutely! I made my way through The Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Mort, Feet of Clay and Unseen Academicals, and I WANT MOOOOORE. :twisted:

Ooh, I don't know. I've heard Small Gods is quite good.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld?
Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary? Not really. Many fantasies I read have little or no background and I sort of make assumptions to fill in the gaps. Discworld was much better, in this respect, as most elements are explained, at least in brief, or described enough for you to make sense of it. It also helps that I re-read just about every book.

Moist von Lipwig

Lance-Constable
Jan 21, 2010
Ankh-Morpork

I have watched Hogfather movie and was so excited about Mr. Teatime's role that I had to know more about him. Even before reading the book, I made small cosplay with wig and black clothes but it turned horrible - for me, I looked like black dressed girl.

Hogfather. I was stunned how good it was and how it came I have never heard about it.

3. Will you read more?

Most probably! I love Terry Pratchett and he is my favourite writer now.

Since I am reading Going Postal right now, it will be probably Making Money.

Nah, not necessary at all. I have a knack for it, I am sure! I fell into Discworld like a fresh plum. It was so easily and pleasant.

snk89

Feb 21, 2010
India
Every form of media i had seen till then involved the same plots, the same themes, and same ideas with very few exceptions. I was looking for something that would show the world in an unconventional way and especially observe the stupidity of humans. I really didn't expect to find any such thing. When i saw the color of magic in some top book list i thought id would be some quirky that would be mildly amusing. But it was Exactly what i was looking for. It was clever, funny and so uniquely british (which i hadn't read much of).

First book: Color of magic

Books read (listened, audiobooks): 1 - 23 in order, color of magic to Carpe Jugulum

I intend to read them all and move on to non discworld pratchett stuff. I cant put them down. Its actually wrecking havoc on my daily schedule.

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
Mum's boyfriend has all of them. He always talked about them, but I only really got interested and picked one up about three four years after he told me to read one :laugh:

Men At Arms

3. Will you read more?
Yesssssss!

Equal Rites

I was very,very, very confused at first, but after I'd read more of them, it all started to make sense.

i'm new here and sort of new to discworld too so to answer the questions

i use to have the discworld game on ps1 and then saw hogfather on tv and instantly fell in love with it.
my first discworld novel was hogfather
3. Will you read more?
i am currently building my collection and have read the colour of magic and the light fantastic.
i have equal rites on its way to me in the post and cant wait to carry on reading lol5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
i found it quiet easy to jump into the whole terry pratchett world of fantasy and became easily obsessed with his work. i am now eagerly trying to build my collection up so i have all his books.

[/i]

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Welcome mariekni - you have so many treats coming your way I'm going green with envy. :laugh:

Terry's one of those authors that it's so easy to get really into and obsessed with. He starts with CoM & LF from a fairly high standard and just keeps getting better because (if read from the start as you're doing - aisde from Hogfather ;) ) he's exploring Discworld with you and that's what makes so special in some respects. Plus he's intelligent, well read and compassionate as well being achingly funny.

You're gonna enjoy this ride so much and this forum does actually come with the packages because as well as discovering teh Joy of Terry you're going to make lots of new and interesting friends too!

Have lots and lots of fun finding your way around ;) :laugh:

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book? I read the graphic novel of TLF and then read the book afterwards
2. What was your first Discworld book? The Light Fantastic, but I didn't get into it until I read Wyrd Sisters
3. Will you read more? Yes
4. Which one do you intend to read next? Whatever comes out next, either Raising Taxes or I Shall Wear Midnight
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary? Since I started with TLF I did struggle a bit, but I don't find TCOM nessesary (can't spell sorry) to understand Discworld. I was kicking myself afterwards, because I'd walked past Wee Free Men in bookshops so many times before!

mariekni said:
i'm new here and sort of new to discworld too so to answer the questions
Hello Mariekni ... And have fun!

There was a cartoon of Wyrd Sisters with Anne Crosbie voicing Granny Weatherwax, Judy Cornwall voiced Nanny Ogg, Jane Horrocks voicing Magrat and Christopher Lee voiced death. I read the book and fell in love! I was sixteen years old.

Wyrd Sisters.

3. Will you read more?

I have most of them and read them all ... so for me it's a question of wating for the next one.

Whichever is published next ... Re-reading Unseen Academicals.

Because I had started with Wyrd Sisters - a parody of Macbeth (which I was sick of by the time I finished school ... I hate that play because I had to analyse three times in two years!) Then I read Lords and Ladies. I can't remember the reading order after that but I remember Moving Pictures was another one and I still love it now as I am into movies big time! I think Terry repeats the origins of the Discworld mythology fairly well throughout each of the books as he treats each book as an individual story and not as part of a series.

User Menu

Newsletter