So, you've discovered Discworld...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
eh, why not :laugh:

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?

Through audio books, went looking for comedy albums to download, kept seeing Terry's name, had heard the name, but knew nothing of the discworld. so figured what the hell, DLed color of magic, enjoyed it, got the rest soon after. been addicted ever since. and steadily i've been buying them as i get the chance.

2. What was your first Discworld book?

Color Of Magic :laugh:

3. Will you read more?

Ofcourse

4. Which one do you intend to read next?

Dunno, depends on my mood :laugh:

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

I did start there, but all in all it wasn't too hard. at times i was kind of confused and it was hard to follow, but that feeling went away.

Jul 7, 2012
I'm going to go out on a subtle note and say I haven't actually fully read any Discworld novels but have listened to audiobooks (I would love to read them in book form though) and plus the audiobooks was about 2 years ago now :laugh: . BUT that is not to say I have not read any of Pratchett's work. I adored Nation and The Carpet People. I'm currently reading TCOM and on the final 20 pages. ;)

How did you come to read your first Discworld novel?

I read Nation and The Carpet People then felt the notorious urge to start the Discworld series and so here I am :laugh:

What was your first Discworld novel?

The Colour Of Magic. Must start in order :mrgreen:

Will you read more?

Maybe only another 38 more :drool:

Which one do you intend to read next?

The Light Fantastic

Jul 7, 2012
Tonyblack said:
You've got a lot of treats ahead! :laugh:
Yes I am sure there will be! I'm so excited to get right in on the Discworld series because I've been trying to find them for a while but my closest bookstore never has sufficient stock on the books.

Is there any books you recommend?

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
All of them, obviously! ;)

If you're planning to read them all, you might as well read in order, but it wouldn't be the worst thing if you didn't (but I would read certain story arcs, such as the watch books, in order).

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
You also see how Terry develops as a writer. You have to remember that once he got into his swing, he was writing two and sometimes three books a year. It used to cost us readers a fortune. :laugh:

Toothy

City Watch
Jul 26, 2008
England
Ooh, hadn't spotted this thread... :rolleyes: :laugh:

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book? and 2. What was your first Discworld book?

One of our pub quiz team (no longer going strong :() was a fan and suggested I read Mort. I liked Death immediately and went on to read Wyrd Sisters, loved Granny and co, and was hooked from there.

3. Will you read more?

I've already read the lot and am now disappointed that I haven't any new ones to buy...:(... so I keep re-reading them and listen to the audiobooks. There's always something witty or a particular nuance I'd missed the first time(s) round.

The next one Terry produces! Meanwhile, it'll be The Long Earth and Dodger.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

Very easy - too easy - It's become an addiction!! No prior background knowledge needed, although I did read the various 'series' (witches, Death, Watch) in order, which seemed a logical way to follow the characters. I preferred the later books to the first two, so am not sure how avid a reader I woud have become had I started with the Colour of Magic.

Tonyblack said:
It occurred to me that many of the new members joining here have only just discovered Discworld and Terry's books. Maybe you've just read one and wanted to know more. Or you found the experience so intense, you wanted to share your experience with other junkies. :laugh:

I must confess that, as someone who has been following the series right from the start, it's a bit difficult for me remember what that experience of reading Discworld for the first time is like.

So - a few questions for new readers:

3. Will you read more?

Ok here goes.

Around 12 years ago I was in a dark dingy pub called Mad 'O' Rourkes Hen House in Hednesford, having a few of those dark Irish ales and taliking RPG's. I read a few fantasy novels in the past, before a Role-player who was as mad as a bag of frogs (and also half drunk on Irish ale) told me about The Discworld series and The Colour of Magic. The following morning a hung over self went to the local WH Smiths to purchase a copy of The Colour of Magic.

2. What was your first Disworld book?

As above

3. Will you read any more?

Does a bear pooh in the woods?

Well i'm reading The Light Fantastic for the third time. So the next one will be Equal Rites

5. I don't think I need to answer this one.

Music, books and films are a major interest for me and when it comes to the Discworld series they have made me laugh we i've needed one. :mrgreen:

Nov 14, 2011
Lincoln, England

I read a couple of Discworld novels during my teenage years then never picked up Pratchett again until last year aged 27. I'm now hooked!

I read Reaper Man first as a teenager, but last year decided to read from Mort onwards. Mort was ok, but everything that has followed it so far has been better. Small Gods, Witches Abroad and Lords and Ladies are my favourites so far.

3. Will you read more?

I'd like to read all of Pratchett's works.

Men at Arms, Soul Music and Maskerade are currently in the post and heading my way!

I started with Mort, but in hindsight Wyrd Sisters would have been a better start, or Guards! Guards!. Pyramids and Small Gods are great starting points too. I don't feel I've missed anything from not reading the first 3 but I don't agree with the idea that Mort is a good starting point.

Margi

Constable
Sep 17, 2012
Treacle Mine Road, Ankh Morpork
How did I come to read my first Discworld book?
I came to live in the newly built earthly incarnation of Treacle Mine Road in February 2010. (New house for my husband's 60th birthday! Not on purpose!) After a while I felt guilty about living in a part of Ankh Morpork and not having read the books, so I started.

First book
Colour of Magic

Will I read more?
I'm demolishing them as fast as I can get them. I'm a bit broke so I'm scouring the libraries and getting ebooks from Amazon. I'm addicted. :laugh:

Which one next?
Whichever I can get my hands on, but I'm trying to read them in order as much as I can although I have read them all over the place, just choosing earlier ones if the choice is there.

Background knowledge needed?
I think I had a good deal to start with and I did start with Colour of Magic so I guess it wasn't an issue really.

I'll add another question 'Which is my favourite book/series so far?'
The Watch series is absolutely my favourite, and choosing a favourite book seems to change with each one I read. I think Snuff was fantastic, then I read Night Watch afterwards and thought that was even better.

Oct 3, 2012
I actually, some how, picked up an audio book for a long car trip. I listened to "Going Postal" as my first ever Discworld or Pratchett story! After the first "WTF" I decided to just let the story go where ever it took me. After I got back from the trip, I picked up several Discworld books and even went to the childrens section to get his stories!

2. What was your first Discworld book? "Gping Postal"

3. Will you read more? I read all that I can and even reread most of them!

4. Which one do you intend to read next? Just finished SNUFF and it depends what is in at the Library.

I didn't read the Colour of Magic until months after becoming a Discworld addict! I suppose it really depends on if you are the type of person that trys to figure out what is going on during a story, I suppose you would need background. If however, you are like me and just want to go where ever the story leads...diving in blindfolded is a fun time to be had by all!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site, SpokaneLinda! :laugh:

I have a few of the books on audio and agree that they're great for long road trips. I can't be doing with audiobooks otherwise as I get distracted too easily.

MerlinPowered

Lance-Constable
Jul 11, 2012
NSW, Australia

Prior to finding the Discworld, I had never had the urge to read fiction. I read some in my school years, but hadn't had an interest since. I have read many non-fiction books over the years, mostly relating to WW2. Dont ask me why, but fiction just didn't interest me.

Back in June 2011 I was attending training for work in Sydney. A bunch of us were standing around in a break talking when the topic of "what are you reading" came up. Interestingly Terry's books came up, and to my suprise most people either knew of these books, or were reading them now. I hadn't heard of Terry up until that point, so was intrigued. With an open mind I made an effort to write down Terry's name so when I came home I could look him up.

After getting home I did some research, and in my travels found some of the Discworld forums, and also the reading order guides. I decided to start with The Colour of Magic. I set off down town to try and find a copy locally without high expections. To my suprise my local book shop had a copy. I wasn't expecting that at all. I read the first 100 pages or so and was hooked.

The Colour of Magic

3. Will you read more?

Yes! So far I have read: The Colour of Magic, Guards Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, Mort, Equal Rights, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch and Thud!

Snuff.

User Menu

Newsletter