So, you've discovered Discworld...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Kemist

Jul 22, 2013
I'm totally new to Discworld, but enthusiastic to share my introduction to it.

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?

Earlier this year I finished the fourth book in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series and was looking for a new series while waiting for "A Dance with Dragons" to come out in paperback. I found an American thriller series but I had trouble identifying with a main Character Who Can Do No Wrong. In the meantime, my friend invited me to see a production of Monstrous Regiment at the Toronto Fringe Festival in which his daughter was playing Polly Perks. I thoroughly enjoyed the play, (which took place just 1 week ago) and when I came home I read the Wikipedia articles on Terry Ptratchett and on Discworld. I became fascinated with the Rincewind character - he seemed like a character I could identify with - so the next day I went to the local bookstore and bought a copy of The Colour of Magic. I'm halfway through it and I've now ordered the next three novels in the series.

2. What was your first Discworld book?

While my first Discworld story was "Monstrous Regiment", my first Discworld book is "The Colour of Magic".

3. Will you read more?

Definitely! This is a lot of fun. Rincewind rocks!

4. Which one do you intend to read next?

"The Light Fantastic". I intend to read them in order.

5. If you didn't start with "The Colour of Magic", how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you find that some background knowledge was necessary?

N/A. I started with "The Colour of Magic"

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Kemist said:
I'm totally new to Discworld, but enthusiastic to share my introduction to it.
I became fascinated with the Rincewind character - he seemed like a character I could identify with - so the next day I went to the local bookstore and bought a copy of The Colour of Magic. I'm halfway through it and I've now ordered the next three novels in the series.

"The Light Fantastic". I intend to read them in order."
Excellent idea! Especially since "The Light Fantastic" follows on directly from the first book, with Rincewind.

Aug 7, 2013
I was about ten years old and there were some Terry Pratchett's in our school library. My older brother had recommended him to me.

2. What was your first Discworld book?
The Colour of Magic, it cracked me up as a ten year old and the randomness was so delightful and refreshing.

3. Will you read more?
Of course, I mean to collect them all. Silly question. ;)

I recently succeeded in getting my parents hooked on Terry Pratchett (a success years in the making) thanks to Sam Vimes, and so I am reading through all the Vimes books, just finished Night Watch last night, and so I came to this site looking for a list of all the Vimes books in order (could a chronological list based on the characters (the witches, wizards, watch, death etc.) be located somewhere?) I skipped from Feet of Clay to Night Watch and I think Carpe Juggulum is inbetween, so if I can get my hands on it, I will probably read that next. =)

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
Actually, I found that Colour of Magic was so Random, it might be better to start with the first of the other books, like Equal Rites. Some books I have seen have the character outlines and other descriptions in the back, which helps to fill in the gaps. But I feel that once you are introduced to the characters (such as Death, or Esme Weatherwax, or Sam Vimes) it is easy to read any of the books about them.

Aug 7, 2013
My mistake, just had an update on all the Vimes books (scrolling through the timeline) and it must be the Fifth Elephant I'm thinking of, with the Werewolves.

So, for all who might wander onto my reply, seeking Vimes' in chronological order, here they are:
1. Guards! Guards!
2. Men at Arms
3. Feet of Clay
4. Jingo
5. The Fifth Elephant
6. Night Watch
7. Thud! (My favorite!)
(see also, Where's My Cow?)
8. Snuff
(see also, The World of Poo)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
MissVetinari said:
My mistake, just had an update on all the Vimes books (scrolling through the timeline) and it must be the Fifth Elephant I'm thinking of, with the Werewolves.

So, for all who might wander onto my reply, seeking Vimes' in chronological order, here they are:
1. Guards! Guards!
2. Men at Arms
3. Feet of Clay
4. Jingo
5. The Fifth Elephant
6. Night Watch
7. Thud! (My favorite!)
(see also, Where's My Cow?)
8. Snuff
(see also, The World of Poo)
It does help if you read Thief of Time and The Truth after The Fifth Elephant and before Night Watch since events in the these books provide context for what happens in future Vimes books.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Yes, that’s truth, raptornx01! And let’s hope the scroll will keep growing for a looong time!

Hey! I’m so happy I found this topic! It is very interesting to read all your opinions. They are all great! ;)

My turn!
Hooray!

This is a fun story to tell, because the fact of knowing about Terry Pratchett started one generation before mine and because of a mistake… Well, in the end not a mistake at all… XD

Once upon a time, several years before my mother had me, she ordered to buy a T-Shirt from a magazine. A few days after, she received a box and opened it. So far so good, right? But it turned out that because of the inscrutable ways of the causality, inside the box there wasn’t the T-Shirt she wanted but a book called “Ritos Iguales” (Equal Rites).

She started reading it. At the beginning she got confused, but in the end she loved it and waited for the next translations (and you had to be very patient because at that time the average of years x books were of 2 or 3! 8P) and made the collection…

Years later… When I was eight she introduced me to the Discworld and… Here I am! :dance:

PS. My mother never asked for the T-Shirt. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2. Which was your first Discworld book?

“Equal Rites” was the book that really hooked me to Terry Pratchett. I was so young that some things were difficult for me to comprehend and this was the first book I really enjoyed. With time I learned to understand those complex things and, of course, to love them!

3. Will you read more?

I’ve been reading Terry Pratchett for more than seven years so I think it’s quite probable I’ll carry on with it. XD

Currently I’m waiting for the Spanish translation of “Raising Steam” and “Dodger”. My treasureeee! :drool:

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

I always recommend reading Discworld orderly by series (witches, wizards, the Watch) but not necessarily by order of publication. In my opinion “Colour of Magic” is good but not the best book to start familiarizing with Terry Pratchett.

You know, the idea of Discworld was half-done, and the book it is not particularly fun. :| I normally recommend “Equal Rites” or “Guards! Guards!” to start, but I think everyone have a especial Discworld book waiting for them that will hook them, whichever it is!

Mx

javimgol

Jan 10, 2014
Hi!

I'm new here.

I discovered Discworld thanks to a friend who is a great fan of DW. I begun to read them last year, and have just finished I shall dress midnight (I really loved it). Now I have finished all the sagas: Rincewind and wizards, Witches, Death, Guards, Moist (Raising Steam included) and Tiffany, plus the Truth.

And now what? I really loved all the pieces of Terry. I guess I'll read the single novels (Piromids, Moving Pictures, Small Gods and Monstrous Regiment), but frankly I'm not expecting too much. Shall I read the short novels or Science books or are just a gimmick?

When is going to launch Terry another book, if he is planning to do it (I know he as Alzheimer)? Is it true that he may release a new witches book with Tiffany and the Chalk coven included?

Thanks a lot!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site! :laugh:

I think the next book is 'The Long Mars' with Stephen Baxter. Not sure about the next Discworld book though. We've heard that he is writing another Tiffany book, but don't know any more details . . . well, I don't know any more.

User Menu

Newsletter