So, you've discovered Discworld...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
javimgol said:
Now I have finished all the sagas: Rincewind and wizards, Witches, Death, Guards, Moist (Raising Steam included) and Tiffany, plus the Truth.
I guess I'll read the single novels (Piromids, Moving Pictures, Small Gods and Monstrous Regiment), but frankly I'm not expecting too much. Shall I read the short novels or Science books or are just a gimmick?
The individual novels are good too.
Moving Pictures is a wizards novel. It has many references to movies of the early 20th century, so you may want to read the lists of annotations at the Pratchett website at www.lspace.org
Vimes has a small role in Monstrous Regiment.
Many people think Small Gods is one of the best books.
The Science of Discworld books have a short Rincewind novel interwoven with science chapters. I think they are good and they show Rincewind's life as a member of the faculty at Unseen University.

=Tamar

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
The Mad Collector said:
Great answers Mixa. You are clearly having great fun with the books and long may it continue :laugh:
Thank you The Mad Collector! Of course I’m going to continue with Discworld, I’m waiting impatiently for new books! :mrgreen: And recommending the current ones to as much people as I can! Actually I convinced my English teacher (she’s from London) to try with “Guards! Guards!” and she is loving it! XD

javimgol said:
And now what? I really loved all the pieces of Terry. I guess I'll read the single novels (Piromids, Moving Pictures, Small Gods and Monstrous Regiment), but frankly I'm not expecting too much.
Welcome javimgol! I’m new here as well, but I’m having a great time! :dance:

Referring to what you said of the single novels, they are as outstanding as the others. In fact, I completely agree with =Tamar, because "Small Gods" is one of the Discworld books that made me laugh most. Terry Pratchett is amazing! I can’t stop bellowing it from the rooftops! :pray:

I also recommend you other Pratchett books as “Nation” or “The Bromeliad Trilogy”! They are simply wonderful!!

Tonyblack said:
I think the next book is 'The Long Mars' with Stephen Baxter.
I’ve read something about these new books with Stephen Baxter but I don’t know what they are about. Could someone tell me a little bit about them? Did you like them?

Mx

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The books with Stephen Baxter are based on an idea that Terry had a long time ago that he never got around to developing. The idea is basically the idea of infinite universes and the stories concern humanity discovering a way to "step" between these realities to different versions of Earth - none of which have ever (it seems) had humans on it. The further they travel through these worlds, the more they change.

A lot of Pratchett readers don't seem to have enjoyed them as they are very different to the Discworld books, but I have enjoyed them and I am looking forward to the next in the series. :)

Freebie

Lance-Constable
Feb 10, 2014
England
Good questions!

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?
- I saw The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents in the shop (I expect) and thought it looked good (cat on the front cover!), and it had received an award recently, so it seemed worth a go. So I asked for it for Christmas, many years ago now.

2. What was your first Discworld book?
- The above. If we're counting the ones in the older reader list, then Feet Of Clay was my first.

3. Will you read more?
- I will, and I am!

4. Which one do you intend to read next?
- I'm not sure. I've read all the ones I currently own.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
- I feel I started well with Feet Of Clay. For the next few I read it was easy to get into. Colour Of Magic might even have been the third or fourth book I read and actually I found that a bit more difficult to get in to at first.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Good answers, Freebie! ;)

I think it’s great you started with “The Amazing Maurice”. I really enjoyed it (well, you know, I enjoy every TP’s book :mrgreen: ) but as not questioning any physical law or so, it was easier to understand and to relish. XD

I recommend you to try with every single Discworld book. They are all worthy! :romance-heartbeating:

Oh! And welcome to the site! :dance:

Mx

Modo

Feb 6, 2014

I read my first one in High School. I found it at a book shop and it appealed to me.

Mort.

3. Will you read more?

Yes. No question.

The Last Continent.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

Mort was really the introduction to Death as a character, and was kind of a singular story compared to other Pratchett novels. A while back I decided to start reading them in order, and have enjoyed every minute of it.

Oops, I dicoverde this thread just after my introduction in The Broken Drum, so I already replied to some of this questions there.

Nevertheless:

A friend has borrowed it to me some years ago - regrettably I had to give it back.

Thief of Time.

3. Will you read more?
Yes. And again and again.

Raising Steam, the last to read for the moment.

I don't really know. My friend was so enthusiastic that he right forward told me the best bits of discworld background which was needed to read this book, Death's granddaughter, Death of the rats and so on. It was somewhat confusing as the next books I read has been "Moving Pictures" and after this "Reaper Man". While reading this novel I wondered if the girl who appears here (wotshername?) may be the girl Death adopted and who later will become Susan's mother. Later I learned about Ysabelle and Mort, of course, but at this moment, yes, reading the books in the right order (at least the Death series) might have been a good idea. :think:
Apart from that I get rather easily into Discworld, to read some of the books which I read first, it wasn't really necessary to know anything about "the disc" (for example "Monstrous Regiment", which still is one of my favourite books).
So, no, it wasn't difficult - if you get the personal relations of the protagonists right.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
I think you’re right, Roland, one of the most important things to better understand and enjoy Discworld is accompanying its characters throught their evolution. Nevertheless, it is also important to know the development of the multiverse because everything that “happens” (or mostly “attacks” :mrgreen: ) Discworld evolves as well.

Which are your favourite Discworld books?

Mx

Yep. Therefore I finally went and buy (and read) the books in the right order.
Beside getting the relationships right I also could see how many intern DW references every time and so often showed itself which you never would have spottet if you didn't have read the refered previous novel.
It really is/was worth it.

To choose favorite books may be a little bit difficult.
There are none which I don't like, but there are many which I like, which I very like, which I really enjou, which I love... uhm, and so on.

Also changing from time to time or depending on my mood.
But I think, the books I am most fond of are Hogfather, Moving Pictures, Monstrous Regiment, Mort and Soul Music, to only mention five. But I also like Reaper Man, Pyramides and Witches Abroad very much and appreciate Small Gods and Equal Rites while always getting a very good feeling with Guards! Guards! or Wyrd Sister.

Okay, one thing I can say for sure:
The Rincewind books would be right at the bottom of this list, with the expection of Interesting Times which would rate among the position of Witches Abroad.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
I agree with you: with Discworld books there are always different grades of enjoyment but never of dislike.

These days I'm rereading the Discworld collection and I'm rediscovering books that I thought I didn't like so much... I'm sure that through years I'll have different DW favourite books because I believe there's a special Pratchett book in every stage of your life! :)

Mx

Mixa said:
I agree with you: with Discworld books there are always different grades of enjoyment but never of dislike.
Very right, yes, even the Rincewind books brings hilarous fun without thinking much if you are in the mood or if you allow you the mood to.

Mixa said:
These days I'm rereading the Discworld collection and I'm rediscovering books that I thought I didn't like so much... I'm sure that through years I'll have different DW favourite books because I believe there's a special Pratchett book in every stage of your life! :)

Mx

I agree, have had the same experience by rereading not long ago. Many books, some which I have read last years ago, get better and better by every reading, some I always can read (Wyrd Sisters for example), with other books I had to ripen with the years to appreciate them at full scale now (Reaper man) or even get other point of views (Snuff, albeit this forum also has added some aspects to understand it better). :)

Jun 6, 2014
I just wanted to thank Sir Pratchett for his Discworld novels.
I was first introduced to the Discworld in college by way of a reading assignment. I then lost track of the world until just recently. I am enjoying the world immensely. The way that Sir Pratchett is able to make the wold alive is unbelievable. I have read through the Rincewind arc, Death arc, The Von Lipwig Arc, and am now almost through the Guards arc.
My son and I have watched Going postal, The color of Magic, and The Hogfather with much enjoyment.
We have listened to many of the books on tape, then went ahead and read them, most recently with Raising Steam.

I just wanted to say Thank You for the years of enjoyment I have had and am looking forward to many more.

Thank you,

Benjamin Spitz

SueSquare

Jun 1, 2014
Hello!

I wouldn't say I'm a new reader, as I've been reading Discworld books since I was 8, but I figure this is the best way to start talking to everyone :laugh:

My dad is a big fan of the Discworld series, and used to play me The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic audio tapes to me at bedtimes. a few years after I picked up The Colour of Magic for the first time and have loved the series since.

The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, I read them both in the same day! These books sparked my love of fantasy novels and my love for Terry Pratchett's writing.

3. Will you read more?

I did and always will, haha! I've been slowly building up my collection of Discworld novels, and I'm always picking them up to read again.

I'm unsure just now, although I know I've missed a few of the earlier books, so when I have time I'm planning to check the list and see.

User Menu

Newsletter