So, you've discovered Discworld...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Aug 16, 2014
Hi! New to the forum and new to Pratchett since this spring! I have fallen in love!

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?

My friend has read almost all of them, and one day I was at hos place and asked what it's all about. I soon read Colour Of Magic and after that I borrowed 10 more! From there ln... :)

2. What was your first Discworld book?

Colour of magic. Im Reading them in order. Im at jingo now! Only slipper pyramids because I was anxious to start Reading about the city watch series that I had heard so much of.

3. Will you read more?

All of it! And after that more of Pratchett. I love it.

4. Which one do you intend to read next?

Since I read them in order, I suppose The Last Continent is on que.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

Im glad I started with CoM because it gave a good intro. But it wasnt until guards! Guards! I got a good full picture of the universe of the discworld.

Glad to be here! Not gonna stalk too much until i read more. Dont want any spoilers!

nantonaku

Aug 28, 2014
1. I read series after series of fantasy books so I was just looking through the shelves at the library and saw them - I avoided them at first because they had silly, non-fantasyesque names like Making Money and because the 1st book in the series was never on the shelves but eventually I tried them - I ended up just buying the first one.

2. The Colour of Magic

3. Of course!

4. I'm halfway through Making Money and I am thinking of reading Mort, Equal Rites, or Pyramids next - I want to read the first book or 2 from each storyline before I delve too deep into any of them. Please tell me which of the 3 you liked best.

5. N/A

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Pyramids isn't actually the start of a series, it's one of the standalones. That is not a reason to ignore it - I'm rather fond of it myself. If you want to start one of the storylines, Mort is a good choice, though I think the strongest "starter" book is Guards! Guards! Have you found the Reading Order Guide for the storylines?

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
The book that really hook me to Discworld was ‘Equal Rites’ and the Witches became like a family to me, but I also think one of the best books to start with Discworld is G!G! (and then with all the other books of the Watch because they are really catchy and their evolution is amazing).

You choose, but don’t worry because any DW choice sure it’ll be interesting. ;)

Mx

Sep 18, 2014
Hello everybody,

Brand new member here, so a tiny introduction is in order ;)

My bf has the whole series, and nudged me into reading them. So I have someone to blame my addiction on ;)

To own: a friend gave me a copy of Wintersmith when it first came out. She figured I'd like it. But having not read anything of the Discworld then, I had a bit of a 'What the heck is this?' feeling and stopped reading after 20 pages or so. Until bf persuaded me to start reading from the beginning. So; first book to have read: Equal Rites.

3. Will you read more?
Of course! That's a silly question! :p And once I'm done I'll probably start over! Or, possibly re-read my favourites (Feet of Clay, Maskerade and Men at Arms for now) first again, and then start over. I'll skip the Rincewind ones, as he just annoys me to bits :)

I'm reading them in publication order for now. Just finished Making Money, so it's now on to Thud! I think?

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
Before I started reading the series (properly, not my half-baked attempt at Wintersmith ;) ), I'd seen The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic and The Hogfather tv adaptations. So no introduction was needed.

That's it for now. See you around :)

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Hellooo and welcome Esme. :laugh:

EsmeWeatherwax said:
3. Will you read more?
Of course! That's a silly question! :p And once I'm done I'll probably start over! Or, possibly re-read my favourites (Feet of Clay, Maskerade and Men at Arms for now) first again, and then start over. I'll skip the Rincewind ones, as he just annoys me to bits :)
I've been reading the books more or less since the beginning and still find new insights and references that I missed on previous occasions, so a re-read (or several) is well worth the time. :laugh:

I don't know which Rincewind books you've tried but the first few are very different to what comes later with the evolution of the Disc. Personally, I enjoyed them all but prefer the 'Rincewind series' from Eric onwards. :laugh:

Sep 18, 2014
Thanks for the welcome, all ^_^

Penfold said:
Hellooo and welcome Esme. :laugh:

I don't know which Rincewind books you've tried but the first few are very different to what comes later with the evolution of the Disc. Personally, I enjoyed them all but prefer the 'Rincewind series' from Eric onwards. :laugh:
Let's see, CoM and TLF of course. Those were ok. :p I managed to finish Sourcery (barely), but I completely skipped Eric and Interesting Times. I tried, though. I really did! But they just didn't grab me. Strangely enough I did quite enjoy The Last Continent. And The Last Hero was a bit in between, for me.

So for the re-read I think I'll focus on the Watch and Witches series first. :) Or the Wizards, as I have a soft spot for Mustrum (and not just because of my forum name... ;) ).

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
EsmeWeatherwax said:
Let's see, CoM and TLF of course. Those were ok. :p I managed to finish Sourcery (barely), but I completely skipped Eric and Interesting Times. I tried, though. I really did! But they just didn't grab me. Strangely enough I did quite enjoy The Last Continent. And The Last Hero was a bit in between, for me.

So for the re-read I think I'll focus on the Watch and Witches series first. :) Or the Wizards, as I have a soft spot for Mustrum (and not just because of my forum name... ;) ).
Welcome to the forum, Esme! I'm there with you about the Rincewind books. He's a one-note character, and little better than a straight man to all the eccentric characters that show up in his books. There was just nowhere to go with him in terms of character development, so you can see why Pterry relegated him to cameo appearances after The Last Continent.

Sep 18, 2014
raisindot said:
Welcome to the forum, Esme! I'm there with you about the Rincewind books. He's a one-note character, and little better than a straight man to all the eccentric characters that show up in his books. There was just nowhere to go with him in terms of character development, so you can see why Pterry relegated him to cameo appearances after The Last Continent.
Thank you for the welcome, raisindot :)

jujub33

Sep 25, 2014
- I actually can't remember. I've known about the series for quite a while, I saw promos for Discworld: The Trouble With Dragons in a GamePro magazine back in the 90s. Around 2006, I started searching Discworld books and decided to begin reading them.

- The Color of Magic

3. Will you read more?
- Yes

- It's been a while since I've read the series, so I'm planning to re-read it from the beginning.

- I think it depends on where you are in what arc, but other than that I can't see why anyone would have trouble starting with books that weren't TCoM. I've actually recommended a friend of mine to start with Equal Rites or Mort.

User Menu

Newsletter