So, you've discovered Discworld...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site, TamLin! :)

As you probably know, Terry has been a huge Steeleye Span fan for years. One of his chosen records on Desert Island Discs was their, Thomas The Rhymer.

TamLin

Jan 26, 2015
Lancashire.
Thanks for the welcome Tony.

I have been reading on and off since my pre-teens, (I am now in my late 40`s :eek: ), but Terry Pratchett has never been on my radar until now. I have never been a big SciFi/Fantasy fan (read Tolkien at school though). My last three books for example were - The Well-Beloved : Thomas Hardy, The Inimitable Jeeves : P.G.Wodehouse, and Ritual : David Pinner. I have taken to Equal Rites like a duck to water however. I think I read 50 pages at my first sitting !
I am really looking forward to the other books in the series - in fact I am going down to my local Waterstones today to hopefully purchase more... :laugh:

Best Wishes.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Welcome to the forum Tamlin :)

With his early books Terry's humour was compared very favourably with Wodehouse so you are already in the right frame of mind for a Pratchett marathon :laugh:

Have fun with the books and definitely check out the Guards series although frankly any of them will give enormous pleasure

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?

I was introduced to the Discworld through a friend. I was looking for a good series to get into and he mentioned that Terry Pratchett had a very similar writing style to my own. I decided it was worth a read. And I was not disappointed.

2. What was your first Discworld book?

My first Discworld book was Going Postal.

3. Will you read more?

Absolutely.

4. Which one do you intend to read next?

I just finished Color of Magic after finishing Going Postal, Making Money, and Nation. I intend on reading The Light Fantastic next.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

I feel that Going Postal was a perfect place to start. It gave me an incredible perspective on the talent and genius of Terry Pratchett's work without needing a lot of background information. Going Postal will always remain an important piece of literature to me as it was my first experience with his work.

I'm excited to be a part of this forum and to get to know some of the Pratchett fans.

Kyle

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Oh, boy... *thinks* I can't remember when I first read a Discworld book. *thinkthinkthink* :mrgreen:

By accident. I saw the cover on the library shelf and thought to myself, "Self," I thought - I call myself that because we were boys together - "Self," I thought, "that cover looks interesting. Shall we have a look at the blurb inside and see if it's worth reading?"

...and the rest, as the cliche goes, is history... ;)

Interesting Times. It was an interesting read (wordplay definitely intended!), but it got me curious as to where all these characters had come from. So, I decided to plunder my favourite bookshops for both new and second-hand copies of the books (second-hand preferred a-cos they were cheaper and I was, at the time, a very poor undergrad surviving on various intermittent contracts). However, no cost was too great - and I devoured TCOM and TLF next, followed by the rest of the series. (I came to the series relatively late; IIRC, this was about 6 months before The Truth came out in hard cover, and I had heaps of reading to do!!!) :mrgreen:

3. Will you read more?

Now? I currently own the entire series, not including Strata or the Gnome books. I also have the first two "The Long..." books - I enjoyed the first book, but not so much the second. In addition, I own the mapps, the illustrations, (some of the) stage plays, quite a lot of the talking books (Stephen Briggs forever!!! :p), the encyclopedias and quizbooks, the Tiffany books, the roleplaying books... :p

One thing you can say about TP's books is that they are never dull. :) What more is there left for me to read of TP? Just curious. :)

Oh yes, and I've read the collected essays too... and been to a con or two... ;)

The Atlas, followed by The Shepherd's Crown. It'll be a bittersweet farewell...... :) :(

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

Half-and-half. I started with Interesting Times, which was pretty understandable as a standalone - however, it left me curious, and asking myself, "Who is this Rincewind fella anyway?" :laugh: That led me to TCOM and TLF, and then on, and on, and on... etc... ;)

*transforms into vampire Rath* Hope zat answer qvestion! :mrgreen:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Thanks for sharing, Rath. The Nomes books are well worth a read. Most of us didn't much care for the second "Long Earth" book (although I enjoyed it much more the second time. The third book is much better and I'm still reading the fourth one.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
RathDarkblade said:
I currently own the entire series, not including Strata or the Gnome books.
What more is there left for me to read of TP? Just curious. :)
Well, there's Strata and the Nome (not gnome) books... Have you read Dark Side of the Sun?
The Johnny books? Nation? Dodger?

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Haven't read Dark Side of the Sun, Strata, the Johnny books or the Nome books. I was under the impression that these books were for children - was I mistaken?

I have, however, read both Nation and Dodger and enjoyed them both immensely. In fact, the afterword for Dodger inspired me for one of my own books... mwa ha ha. :twisted: I'm putting the final polishing touches to a book set in the late Viking era, and was wondering how I may go about explaining the various odd phrases and words from that era - Terry's afterword has given me a clue or two. Yay! :dance:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Dark Side and Strata aren't childrens book and while the Nome / Bromeliad books are ,I still really enjoyed them and think they are worth a read. The Johnny books are good but I think they're a bit dated now.
Strata is interesting in that you see a proto discworld in it well before Colour of Magic came out

Jul 23, 2015
Berlin, Germany
So, let's see...

I always enjoyed some fantasy literature now and then, but a series with about 40 novels published so far? It sounded kind of scary. :mrgreen: But with the recent passing of Sir Terry, I finally gave it a try. And after five books so far, I don't regret my decision.

Moving Pictures. I wanted to start with a stand-alone novel and regarding my love for movies, this was the only possible option.

3. Will you read more?
Of course, I'm looking forward to many more Discworld novels to come.

Since I was pretty happy after reading the first two Night's Watch books, I will continue with Feet Of Clay.

No problems there. I just dived into it and had plenty of fun.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Oh, Rath! You have to read the Bromeliad Trilogy and Johnny’s adventures! They are amazing! Do not forget that a Pratchett novel for young readers still is a Pratchett novel and will make you laugh out loud!

BTW, did you say you are writing book set in the late Vikings era? Wow, you really are a box full of surprises!

A concise but explanatory answer, Wittertainee! We all agree with you! ;)

Mx

Mimpsey

Lance-Constable
Sep 24, 2015
Hello,

My first post to this forum...and it seemed a reasonable candidate for a decent place to start. I been aware of Terry Pratchett for years, mostly through his friendship with Neil Gaiman, another writer I adore. I had loved their collaboration from 1990, "Good Omens", although I had always assumed that Neil was more responsible for the parts I enjoyed the most...I have since learned that was probably not the case.

Then when Sir Terry died earlier this year, I was moved by a blog post Neil made honoring his friend. I took that as a time to see what I perhaps had been missing all these years...and I must say that I am now sad that I waited so very long. On the bright side...I have so much to read stretched out before me.

I already answered this one above. I did wonder where to start with so many books to choose from. I was quite happy to learn that for the most part it didn't really matter.

This was a more difficult decision than one might realize. I researched numerous strategies in how to tackle a venture of this size (I already knew I wanted to read more than just one entry) but in the end I decided to begin at the beginning...even with several people warning me not to do so...or rather advising me to begin elsewhere.

3. Will you read more?
I don't want to stop! I am currently on book five, "Sourcery", and have next one on the shelf waiting for me. I have been ordering the imported paperbacks from the UK (I live in the US) as I really don't enjoy reading the mass market TPB format, which is all we sell here in the US...plus the imports have such fun covers, whereas our covers are so dull and bland. Covers do not a good book make, but they certainly can add to the experience!

As I said above, I have "The Wyrd Sisters" waiting on me, and I have already placed my order for both "Pyramids" and "Guards, Guards!" (which I am eagerly anticipating, I have heard such great things!) I've decided to read by order of publication thereby allowing myself to witness Sir Terry's growth as a writer. The strides he made just in plotting in the first four books is amazing. Plus, I get to see the beginnings of several characters that apparently will be recurring throughout the novels. I was so delighted to see Rincewind show up in "Mort" for instance.

Question five doesn't apply to me, and I have prattled on long enough. Well met, fellow travelers!

User Menu

Newsletter