So, you've discovered Discworld...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
mystmoon said:
1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book? I read the graphic novel of TLF and then read the book afterwards
2. What was your first Discworld book? The Light Fantastic, but I didn't get into it until I read Wyrd Sisters
3. Will you read more? Yes
4. Which one do you intend to read next? Whatever comes out next, either Raising Taxes or I Shall Wear Midnight
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary? Since I started with TLF I did struggle a bit, but I don't find TCOM necessary (can't spell sorry) to understand Discworld. I was kicking myself afterwards, because I'd walked past Wee Free Men in bookshops so many times before!
see i dont think i would have appreciated TLF unless i had already read TCOM. there is a few points through TLF that unless TCOM had been read you would have fully appreciated what TP was getting at. if that makes sense :oops:

also thank you Lady Vetinari

chuckie

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Corby
mariekni said:
mystmoon said:
1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book? I read the graphic novel of TLF and then read the book afterwards
2. What was your first Discworld book? The Light Fantastic, but I didn't get into it until I read Wyrd Sisters
3. Will you read more? Yes
4. Which one do you intend to read next? Whatever comes out next, either Raising Taxes or I Shall Wear Midnight
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary? Since I started with TLF I did struggle a bit, but I don't find TCOM necessary (can't spell sorry) to understand Discworld. I was kicking myself afterwards, because I'd walked past Wee Free Men in bookshops so many times before!
see i dont think i would have appreciated TLF unless i had already read TCOM. there is a few points through TLF that unless TCOM had been read you would have fully appreciated what TP was getting at. if that makes sense :oops:

also thank you Lady Vetinari
Makes perfect sense to me mariekni. I prefer to read each thread in order because you can't really understand the characters unless you know what.s happened to them in previous books.

Cstars

Lance-Constable
Mar 29, 2010
Toronto, Canada
1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?

I kept running into Discworld references around the net and I hate feeling like I've missed out on something. Now I feel like one of the cool kids because I know what sapient pearwood is :laugh:

2. What was your first Discworld book?

I started at the beginning with Colour of Magic and I hope to keep going in order.

3. Will you read more?

I intend on reading all of them.

4. Which one do you intend to read next?

Sourcery

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

Starlight

Lance-Constable
Mar 16, 2010
London
I bought the colour of magic because I heard that they might be good but I didn't read it until after watching Hogfather and the colour of magic on TV. Now I can't stop reading them. :laugh:

The Colour of Magic

3. Will you read more?
I plan to read all of them.

I'm currently reading Hogfather after that I'm going to read Witches Abroad

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I saw those little versions of the first Discworld books in a charity shop & bought them.

The first one I read was Equal Rites.

3. Will you read more?
I now have all, plus a few audio books & I have read all, some more than once.

I am going to wait for the next TP book.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
As I had that one with the others in the little book collection, I realised that was the first, so read that next & so on. I then went & bought the big copies.
I think Equal Rites can stand alone, but it was good to read the first & subsequent books after.

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
Children's Fantasy Literature course for University.

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents

3. Will you read more?
Of course.

Colour of Magic

Fortunately I knew of the essential ideas surrounding this world (turtle, elephants, craziness, puns, absurdism, wit, etc.).

Cheers.

Marco

Lance-Constable
Apr 7, 2010
Sweet London
School library, saw a tattered old book with an awesome cover. Picked it up and cherished it, took it out for the first time in 10 years.
Colour of Magic, took me a while to figure out whether there was some order.
3. Will you read more?
Nah (jokes)
I'm trying to read them in publishing order, Guards! Guards! next.
-

Ziggy

Apr 10, 2010
1. In fact I didn't read it, I listened to it on cassette tape which was lent to me by my cousin, who has a whole box full. Read by Nigel Planer, who is bloody awesome, Neil from the Young Ones.

2. The Colour of Magic.

3. Definitely.

4. I am now listening to the Light Fantastic, I've also bought another Pratchett book 'Good Omens', so I might finish that first, don't know if it's Discworld though.

5. Well I started with the Colour of Magic, it's definitely not what I expected though. I was expecting something aimed at young kids, like Deltora quest or something so it took me a few minutes to understand what the heck was going on.

chuckie

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Corby
Welcome to the forum Ziggy. :)
Terry wrote Good Omens with Neil Gaiman.
It's not part of the Discworld but still well worth reading.
the next Discworld book is Equal Rites. Hope you enjoy it as much as the first two.

turtle

Lance-Constable
Apr 5, 2010
turtle said:
Well, I just went into a bookstore and I was interested in something different, something unreal or something new. I was bored of the typical literature and I was very amused by the appraisals alternatively critics of a german newspaper so I just tried one and I reallyenjoied it, because I felt I was in another world.
the colour of magic, but I would say that this is probably not the best terry novel to begin with... I know its his first with some explanations, but I think people also can get into the scene if they start with another one.
3. Will you read more?
for sure!!!!
I intend to read Eric next, because I liked the cover and I love the books with Rincewind(soooo gooood)
Well, I cannot answer this question, because I read Colour of Magic at first! ;)

User Menu

Newsletter