So, you've discovered Discworld...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dingleberry

Lance-Constable
May 10, 2016
I discovered Discworld because of the Folio Society - I'm a fan of their beautifully bound books with specially commissioned illustrations. They produced their first Discworld novel this year, Mort, which I couldn't resist because of the fantastic binding design and illustrations by Omar Kayyam, and so this prompted me to enter the mad world of A'Tuin. With zero regrets: I loved Mort, which in turn prompted me to read The Colour of Magic, which then prompted me to buy ten more Discworld novels when I saw them freshly put out on the shelves of my local second hand bookshop. So I'm now all set up for a long lazy Discworld summer!

I'm not a new reader by any means, but I'll give you my history with Discworld all the same:

1. I came to read my first Discworld book purely by chance. I was leafing through the volumes in my college's library and happened across The Colour of Magic and some more recent Discworld instalments. They weren't emblazoned with the familiar Josh Kirby covers. Indeed these editions looked somewhat drab, but nonetheless I had heard much about this world balanced precariously on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand astride the shell of Great A'Tuin and I thought I'd give the first one a go.

2. I started at the beginning with The Colour of Magic.

3. Yes, I intend to read them all. Then re-read them. Then re-re-read them. Then re-re-re-read them. And so on.

4. I am up to Men at Arms and Soul Music. I think I will take these on holiday with me next week. I hope to have reached The Fifth Elephant by Christmas.

5. Initially I found it difficult to ease myself into the Discworld. It was completely unlike anything I had read before. It took two attempts before I converted admittedly.

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
NathanLovesDiscworld said:
I'm not a new reader by any means, but I'll give you my history with Discworld all the same:

1. I came to read my first Discworld book purely by chance. I was leafing through the volumes in my college's library and happened across The Colour of Magic and some more recent Discworld instalments. They weren't emblazoned with the familiar Josh Kirby covers. Indeed these editions looked somewhat drab, but nonetheless I had heard much about this world balanced precariously on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand astride the shell of Great A'Tuin and I thought I'd give the first one a go.

2. I started at the beginning with The Colour of Magic.

3. Yes, I intend to read them all. Then re-read them. Then re-re-read them. Then re-re-re-read them. And so on.

4. I am up to Men at Arms and Soul Music. I think I will take these on holiday with me next week. I hope to have reached The Fifth Elephant by Christmas.

5. Initially I found it difficult to ease myself into the Discworld. It was completely unlike anything I had read before. It took two attempts before I converted admittedly.
You may disagree once you've read them, but I think you've got the best books yet to come. :)

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
Well, I think the City Watch books get really good, and my favourite of the Witches books is Carpe Jugulum (a bloody good vampire story as well as being very funny in places). :)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
That's kind of one reason why I don't agree that starting at the beginning is necessarily the best idea. If I had started with The Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic I probably would have given up on the series. To me, everything in the series before Mort was inferior and difficult to get through. If people asked me the best approach for a "chronological" march through the series, I'd advise starting with Mort and then working forward, and then picking up the first three books after finishing everything else.

Shinymetal

Lance-Constable
Jan 27, 2017
Matanzas, Cuba
Hi, I fairly new at discworld (only a year and a half) but I have already read all of them, some even in english (my birth language is spanish)

1- I found about discworld in wikipedia and at the time I could not buy or download the books (Internet in cuba is really crappy) but almost a year
and a half ago I got access to internet and the first thing I did was to download them all.
2- Mort, I thought i was going to die from laughing so hard.
3- I have already read them all, but I am going to read them again.
4- Making Money.
5- Fairly easy, the books are superbly written and you can enjoy them even if you dont get all of the inside references.

Shinymetal

Lance-Constable
Jan 27, 2017
Matanzas, Cuba
Dotsie said:
Wow you obviously read a lot! Welcome to the forum :)
I do read a lot, but it is also a bad thing, with time all of my memories of books I read become kinda blurry (Dont know if this is the right word). Like Rincewind when he runs from a place to another.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia

:laugh: :clap:

Welcome to the forums Shinymetal! Wow, I totally agree with my mates… You’re such a quick reader! It took me years to go through the series! Well, look at the bright side… Now you can re-read them slowly and enjoy all the things you might have missed the first time! ;)

Make yourself at home! And thanks to everybody else for sharing your experiences too! :dance:

Mx

User Menu

Newsletter