So, you've discovered Discworld...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

joemcf

Constable
Apr 12, 2010
Bothwell, Scotland
Hey, i'm very new here and just wanted to have a shout out since everyone else gets one. I think i am still fairly new To Terry P. even though i have a fair amount of his books. I have every watch book (except Jingo), UA, Wintersmith, GP & MM and Hogafather. Still loads to go though.

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?
My parents bought me Thud! when it came out a few years ago, although i didn't read it until last year, and i'm very glad i did.
:laugh:

2. What was your first Discworld book?
Thud!

3. Will you read more?
Definetely, as i've already read a fair few, and wasted a good number of pounds.

4. Which one do you intend to read next?
I'd like to read a witch one (other than Tiffany Aching) and see what they are like. Are they any good?

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
I started with Thud! as i've said, so i went back to Guards! Guards! to get the start of their story arc. Guards Guards i think gets you into Discworld quite easily and well, showing you its fantasy and letting you know long term characters i.e. Librarian, CMOT Dibber.

chuckie

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Corby
Welcome to the site Joemcf :)
The first book of the witches thread is Wyrd Sisters, although Granny Weatherwax first appears in Equal Rites. Either book is a good introduction to the witches.

joemcf

Constable
Apr 12, 2010
Bothwell, Scotland
Thanks for the shout out. Fpr some reason it took ages for my computer to get your reply. I've put off getting a witch book for a while, simply because they are shorter than most Pratchett's. I like to take a while with them and savour the jokes, and i keep thinking that i won't get to do that with them as they are not very long...:oops:

Are they any good?

joemcf

Constable
Apr 12, 2010
Bothwell, Scotland
I really didn't mean waste. Actually, i don't regret a penny that i have spent. Pratchett's writing is both hilarious and thought provoking. I love the serious undertones as much as the hilariousness of the characters and their situations. Also, i'm thinking about starting at the Start of the Death story arc, or reading the standalones the Truth or Small Gods. So what should i read next: Equal Rites, The Truth, Wyrd Sisters, Small Gods or Mort?

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Hellooo and welcome from me too, Joemcf :)

joemcf said:
......I've put off getting a witch book for a while, simply because they are shorter than most Pratchett's. I like to take a while with them and savour the jokes, and i keep thinking that i won't get to do that with them as they are not very long...:oops:

Are they any good?
I think they are very good but, then again, I'm unashamedly biased. However, as to whether they are better than the Watch books, I think you're likely to get different answers to that question depending on whom you ask. My personal preference goes with the Watch series.

joemcf

Constable
Apr 12, 2010
Bothwell, Scotland
Ok. Thanks very much. I just was not sure what to think about them for a while. As i said in my previous post, i'm still unsure about what to read next. I'd love to know what your favourites are and what you'd recommend for me to read next. Thanks in advance. :laugh:

joemcf

Constable
Apr 12, 2010
Bothwell, Scotland
I've already read COM and guards Guards (which is one of my favourites, if not) but i think my next Pratchett book will be Mort. That or one of the witch ones. Thanks for the suggestions. :laugh:

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
joemcf said:
Ok. Thanks very much. I just was not sure what to think about them for a while. As i said in my previous post, i'm still unsure about what to read next. I'd love to know what your favourites are and what you'd recommend for me to read next. Thanks in advance. :laugh:
I don't have a particular favourite as it tends to be whichever book I am re-reading at the time (I find the Discworld and Terry's books are among the few books written that stand up to multiple reads and allows a reader to view the stories in different contexts each time).

I read the Discworld books from from the time Equal Rights was released so I pretty much read them in order of publication. This also means that I followed Terry growing in skill as a story-teller and satirist, as the Discworld also evolved. Personally, I would recommend that you do the same (although others might well disagree, with equal validity).

I just wish that I had known the value of first editions at the time.

bplumb

Apr 2, 2010
Hi all! Okay, here's my back story!

Forgive me for sounding like a ovis / Worthers Original advert here but, when I was a lad, at school it was fashionable to have two things - 1) a Parker Pen, 2) Discworld novels. It didn't matter if you had ever read the books, but it mattered that you had at least one. So, being a highly active...possibly hyperactive, early teen, I managed to acrew quite the collection, albeit having never really read any.

We were massive fans of the PC games though (and thanks to the discovery of SummVM, I am reliving my childhood paying both!)

Now I'm a twenty something, I regularly read and fancied delving into a TP book, buying Nation. Well, the rest as they say is history. I was hooked. I grabbed The Colour of Magic from the library 4 weeks back, then bought it alongside The Light Fantastic, Equal Rites, Mort and I am now up to Sourcery. The best thing is, I am enjoying the books for the first time ever yet still have a rather hefty collection on my book shelf!

Guards, Guards!

3. Will you read more?
Abso-friggin-lutely.

Reading in chronological order, so Sourcery now then Wyrd Sisters.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
Not really relevant as the first book I really read was The C of M.

Welcome, bplumb!

Found my brother's collection of Hogfather and Feet of Clay.

Hogfather

3. Will you read more?
Yes! I've read 14 TP books so far, own 12 of them, and 13 of them were DW.
I hope to get all of them ;)

At the moment i'm reading The Light Fantastic and next up will be Sourcery. Then i'll go in order from Colour of Magic onwards, filling in the ones i havent read yet.

Well, he explains each book quite well, even though you need to read all to find out all about a character or concept. But it went down quite well, especially the jokes, though i didnt get most at the time

MarkF

Apr 22, 2010
Gosh, this took a bit of thinking about...

The first DW book I read was Soul Music. I think it was the eye catching cover whilst looking for something in WH Smith that grabbed me. When I find a new (to me) book, I'll skim a couple of pages and see how it scans. Clearly the snippet I read piqued my interest.

Soul Music

3. Will you read more?

I am in the delicious position of having 12 crisp new books waiting on a shelf. I just read Night Watch for the first time, liked it a lot. Before that I just read the latest one, 'Unseen Academicals' which, again, was entertaining.

I'm just re-reading 'Moving Pictures'. This was the second book I read originally and I remember enjoying it immensely. I intend to re-read 'Soul Music' after that.

After that one I am going to read 'Wyrd Sisters' which I haven't read before and I am salivating a bit as I think the witches (especially Nanny Ogg) are terrific.

Well, the lack of background wasn't a hindrance. In the hands of a less able writer or someone whose image of his created world was less firm, it could have been a problem. What makes TP so enjoyable is he writes each book so that it can be enjoyed alone but becomes more enjoyable when you learn more about the Discworld.

I have also found that the different levels of meaning only become apparent after second or third readings (and this, too, makes the whole TP experience such a pleasure), so that while Monstrous Regiment', and 'Thud' were not my favourites at first, on re-reading, they have become much more enjoyable. 'MR' is a great book IMO.

'Unseen Academicals' was enjoyable overall but something was amiss. I shall have to re-read in a bit to see if I can put my finger on it.

1. I've told this story loads and can't be bothered to repeat it

2. The wee free men ( I was eight) My first adult one was Witches abroad

3. When a new one comes out, yes

4 whichever one I happen to pick of my bookshelf for a 5/6/7th re-read

5. I didn't know that there was an order, particulary. I found it very easy to get into discworld but I do have a habit of starting series partway through. I don't think you really need background knowlage, just a sense of humour

User Menu

Newsletter