So, you've discovered Discworld...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

KPDGaskell

Lance-Constable
Aug 11, 2010
Milton Keynes
1. My Dad has read most books and has been trying to get me into it for awhile; I actually read the Johnny Maxwell series, Nation and Good Omens before reading the discworld.
2. Colour of Magic, trying to read in publishing order and it's going well so far.
3. Definitely!
4. I'm currently on Sourcery so I’m going to read Wyrd sisters next

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
KPDGaskell said:
1. My Dad has read most books and has been trying to get me into it for awhile; I actually read the Johnny Maxwell series, Nation and Good Omens before reading the discworld.
2. Colour of Magic, trying to read in publishing order and it's going well so far.
3. Definitely!
4. I'm currently on Sourcery so I’m going to read Wyrd sisters next
Welcome to the site, KPDGaskell! :laugh:

BenB

Aug 17, 2010
Hey, new to the forum, new to Discworld, so thought this thread would be a good way to start.

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?
I read a post on another site about the series which reminded me of how I used to love looking at the cover art of my Aunts Discworld books, was coming to the end of another book so thought it would be a good time to get in to it.
2. What was your first Discworld book?
Colour of Magic.
3. Will you read more?
Yup.
4. Which one do you intend to read next?
Equal Rites.
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
I did start with Colour of Magic. Ill probably read them all in order, Im a bit OCD like that, haha.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
hellooo and welcome BenB! :laugh: I also read the books pretty much in chronological order and personally think its the best way (although not strictly necessary) since you get to watch the whole evolutionary process of the Discworld, its characters, and Sir terry's writing style.

rose2

Sep 1, 2010
Bristol, UK
I've only been reading them for about two months but I've already got through 15!

1 I went to see a play of Guards! Guards! A friend of mine was playing lady Ramkin.
2&4 I started with the colour ofmagic so no ploblems there!
3 I intend to read them all as soon as I get hold of copies.

I'm getting through them too fast! I'm scared I'll finish the sries too quickly!

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Well at that rate you still have about 4 months to go if you include all the books not just pure Discworld :laugh:

I started with Light Fantastic when it first came out, although at that time Terry was just something to read rather than a collectable and I think I gave away, or swapped, my early books. Oh well you win some, you lose some :rolleyes:

Hope you enjoy them as much as I have over the years :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
rose2 said:
I've only been reading them for about two months but I've already got through 15!

1 I went to see a play of Guards! Guards! A friend of mine was playing lady Ramkin.
2&4 I started with the colour ofmagic so no ploblems there!
3 I intend to read them all as soon as I get hold of copies.

I'm getting through them too fast! I'm scared I'll finish the sries too quickly!
Don't worry about reading them too fast. You won't pick up everything on one reading anyway. These books demand to be reread. ;)

jinjin5000

Sep 9, 2010
Tonyblack said:
It occurred to me that many of the new members joining here have only just discovered Discworld and Terry's books. Maybe you've just read one and wanted to know more. Or you found the experience so intense, you wanted to share your experience with other junkies. :laugh:

I must confess that, as someone who has been following the series right from the start, it's a bit difficult for me remember what that experience of reading Discworld for the first time is like.

So - a few questions for new readers:

3. Will you read more?
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
1. I was introduced it by tutoring class few years ago. I bought almost every single discworld book since then (other than lords and ladies I believe- Satisfied with my collection right now and including Good Omens and last hero book)
2. Hogfather. I started with mid-Death series. I got interested and second book I bought were whatever looked interesting and i actually didnt read color of magic til months after I started buying. I remember buying reaper man as my second book along with Guards Guards and Mort.
3. Of course. Terry Pratchetts my Favorite Author
4. Snuff because Watch series is my favorite (Death series and Watch are the best for me. After that comes with Rincewind/ Wizard series)
5. I found it awesome because of the humor. I was scared at the book length at first but I found liking to it and finished it at no time.

Im not british btw

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
Welcome, Jinjin! :) You have what will be, I think, a life-long process of reading and re-reading Pratchett. In some ways I envy you, but on the other hand, many of Pratchett's works (especially the later ones) require multiple readings. He puts so much, so very much in them.

Come join our discussions.

jinjin5000

Sep 9, 2010
swreader said:
Welcome, Jinjin! :) You have what will be, I think, a life-long process of reading and re-reading Pratchett. In some ways I envy you, but on the other hand, many of Pratchett's works (especially the later ones) require multiple readings. He puts so much, so very much in them.

thx for warm welcome!
Ive yet to read i shall wear midnight though. :/ Wish it comes here earlier on my local Borders/barnes (US here)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Its been reading them a fair while but still fun to remember.

My friend was addicted to pratchett and kept pestering me to try but I was always that bit too busy. Then for christamas about eight years ago I got four Discworld books and thought it would be rude not to Give it a go. Now its a sad Christmas without a Pratchett Book under the tree
I started with Thief of Time. I had been given Colour of Magic but I was writing a dissertation on Death Imagery at the time and this seemed appropriate.
3. Will you read more?
Read em all. Reread em all. Will reread em all. Its like meeting up with an old friend.
I'll make a trip to the book shelf and see which grabs my eye. I think I'm in a watch humour so possibly one of that series.
I find it very easy to get in despite the starting book.
Sometimes it was even fun reading a book and something sudenly dawning on you or a subtle joke coming back to your mind.
Overall I did stick to some form of order but not rigidly

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
jinjin5000 said:
swreader said:

thx for warm welcome!
Ive yet to read i shall wear midnight though. :/ Wish it comes here earlier on my local Borders/barnes (US here)
Welcome to the site! Not too long to wait for I Shall Wear Midnight in the US. ;)

You do know that Snuff is still very much in production? I suspect we have quite a long wait in store for that one. o_O

Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
]1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?
to be honest I just thought as I was waiting for a couple other series of books to bring out the next one, and sorry to say bless him there may not be many more discworld books to be released when things get difficult and have noticed the tv shows and discworld items in the past thought give it a go !!!

LOVE THEM LOVE THEM LOVE THEM

I was order orientated so colour of magic was my first.

3. Will you read more?
Yes Yes Yes absolutely addicted :)

Carpe Jugulum is my next one, sitting ready to go in my work bag :)

I started with colour of magic, my brother started on wintersmith !! he wants to read more , his life is a little hectic at the moment though :( I think everyone who looks at a discworld book knows deep down inside what its about and people really don't need much background to read them. just its another world :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter