So, you've discovered Discworld...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Thordoc

Lance-Constable
Nov 1, 2010
Australia
Just found this forum today and signed up straight away, love DW and all things Terry P

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?

Well I was in the library when I was still in high school (going on 15years now), and I couldn't find a single book that I hadn't already read or wanted to read. My parents were wanting to leave and I was holding them up. My father made a deal with me. I was to choose the first book on the top shelf and borrow that one and if I didn't like it we could spend double the time next visit. Well it was my lucky day cause the book turned out to be CoM. I started reading it in the car on the way home and before I had finished the first chapter I was crying from laughter and hurting from laughing so much.

2. What was your first Discworld book?

CoM as described above :laugh:

3. Will you read more?

Indeed, and have read most of them

4. Which one do you intend to read next?

the next book I purchase, most likely either UA or the new tiffany one (can't remember the name of it atm). If I finish re-reading jingo before then....hard to say really. I sort of do a random thing for a book to read on the train to and from work. Just re-read a couple of city watch books so might change it up a bit and go for a witches book

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

I'm one of the lucky ones that started with CoM, it's no longer my fave book but it has a special place in my heart.

Thordoc

Lance-Constable
Nov 1, 2010
Australia
I sort of skipped it about a bit. started Equal Rites but that sort of story lost me a bit. I did manage through sheer luck to read the city watch stories in order, so that was an enjoyable evolution of the watch (and an exploration into A-M) FoC was rather enjoyable, in particular the bit where buggy swires and colon were up that Golden river and the animals on the loose.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Well nightwatch is my favourite but i really enjoyed thud were others seem to dislike it a bit.

MR is an odd one . I do remember trying to predict the endings as i was reading it .

Ellimist

Oct 31, 2010
West Sussex, England
My Uncle bought me COM when we were on holiday in dorset. I started it but gave up after 20 pages (it was mad!) I picked it up off the shelf a year or so later and actually read it properly. I loved it and I bought them one by one from amazon with Birthday and Christmas money (Don't know how people managed waiting for them to be written :cool: )
The Colour of Magic
3. Will you read more?
Have read all of the ones so far- eagerly anticipating the next release!
I'll probably start on the Tiffany Aching novels as they sound quite good
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
I did I'm afraid but I liked reading the books in the written order- it helped me understand them.

Oct 21, 2010
At age about 13, whilst discussing my love of Douglas Adams with a friend he recommended Discworld. 14 Years later I had the urge to read a good fantasy so finally did it this autumn.
I started at the beginning with COM and LF
3. Will you read more?
Just finished Equal Rites which I enjoyed a lot, he definitely improved his writing technique. I'm gonna do it in chronological order (advised by this forum).
Have just planned my train route to the library which has Mort for after work.
NA

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
turnipician said:
At age about 13, whilst discussing my love of Douglas Adams with a friend he recommended Discworld. 14 Years later I had the urge to read a good fantasy so finally did it this autumn.
3. Will you read more?
Just finished Equal Rites which I enjoyed a lot, he definitely improved his writing technique. I'm gonna do it in chronological order (advised by this forum).
NA
Hi turnipician.

Welcome to the site.

Your in for a lot of enjoyment as you get through the books. :laugh:

turnipician said:
3. Will you read more?
NA
Welcome turnipician (if I haven't said that already!).

Cool story, almost the same as mine and you're only just older than me! (27 in April). Glad you are doing the cronological thing like me, it's really rewarding. :laugh:

Oct 21, 2010
thanks guys, am enjoying Mort right now, it has a similar vibe to Equal rites I feel (young apprentice unsure about their calling) so far anyway, although Granny was unsure in equal rites, not Esk. I get the feeling people don't like Equal Rites much on here, why is this or will I not understand until I've read more?

chuckie

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Corby
Welcome Turnipician. :)
It's not that we don't enjoy the earlier books, we tend to feel that the later books are better. For example, i've just started rereading Sourcery again which i wouldn't do if i didn't like it.

User Menu

Newsletter