So, you've discovered Discworld...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Oct 21, 2010
chuckie said:
Welcome Turnipician. :)
It's not that we don't enjoy the earlier books, we tend to feel that the later books are better. For example, i've just started rereading Sourcery again which i wouldn't do if i didn't like it.
I see, this makes me all the more excited for what's the come!

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?
My daughter nagged me into it, fortunately

2. What was your first Discworld book?
I think it was Mort, or maybe Reaper Man, and DEATH continues to be my favourite character.

3. Will you read more?
God yes!!

4. Which one do you intend to read next?
Whatever I can get my hands on.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
Very easy.
No, not at all. Mr Pratchett is very good at continually explaining linking elements, I love him for that.

james.a.vivian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 26, 2010
Sydney
1 & 2. Got a copy of Mort '93 didn't read another one until '02 Colour of magic
3. Read them all since then
4. Just finished She shall wear black can't wait for the next one
5. I first read Mort 9 years before COM, I had to read COM twice before I got a handle on the DW. There are some books in the series that do require a certain amount of DW knowledge, although if you read any of the earlier novels first this should help to avoid any confusion about the world.

Teppic

Lance-Corporal
Jan 29, 2011
Outskirts of Londinium
Well, first post after reading the forums for a few days. Not exactly a noob but certainly not ready to enter the Iron Dojo of all things DW either. Here goes anyway...

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?

Been working my way through the audiobooks as it happens - getting one a month from Aubible.co.uk - so I've not actually read any (though I am now reading Equal Rites as I heard bad things about the unabridged audiobook).

2. What was your first Discworld book?

Feet of Clay - weird place to start thinking about it now :laugh:

3. Will you read more?

Yep. Listened to a few randomly at first, then found the reading order diagram. Went through all the Watch novels I'd missed in order, then all the Industrial Revolution ones. Just finished the Death series and am starting on the Witches. Also listened to both the "Ancient Civilisation" books and have to say both Pyramids and Small Gods would make my Top 3 so-far. Superb novels.

4. Which one do you intend to read next?

As I said, reading Equal Rites now, so it'll be Wyrd Sisters next I guess! :laugh:

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

Still haven't got to CoM so not starting at the start wasn't an issue for me. That said, approaching them randomly was a bit bewildering. Reading them in order of the story arcs as I'm doing is much better. I'm glad I found the reading order guide; much help!

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Teppic said:
Well, first post after reading the forums for a few days. Not exactly a noob but certainly not ready to enter the Iron Dojo of all things DW either.
Oh don't be afraid of this lot.... they can't stay on topic if you begged them. Lighter reading in in the Broken Drum too.

Welcome Teppic

author3

Sergeant
May 8, 2011
Sunnydale Highschool
1. My uncle and my grandfather are obsessed with them so every time I went to there houses I was surrounded by books that I just had to read:laugh:

2.My first Discworld was Making Money

3. obviously

4.well I have just ordered Equal Rites Mort Sourcery Wyrd Sisters so probaby one of them

5.No I didn't
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter