So, you've discovered Discworld...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Siren

Lance-Constable
Apr 27, 2011
Southampton,UK
Ooh I hadn't seen this thread...
1.How did you come to read your first Discworld book?
My partner bought...
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents and I really really loved it. Almost shed a tear on the last page, just one of those books you never want to end. I guess I connected with it especially, being the owner of 3 ratties.
3. Will you read more?
I fully intent to read them all!
4. Which one do you intend to read next?
I bought The Fifth Elephant today which I plan to read when I've finished The Truth.
I enjoyed Thud! immensely and when I read that it was a Vimes book, I just had to line that one up :laugh:
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
I would say I started with Thud! really, as that's the first 'adult' discworld book I read. Personally I found it extremely easy to get into! The characters are great and the whole thing is so brilliantly written and well observed it makes you want to pay attention and work out the relationships and plot points. I had no problem 'adjusting' to the fantastical nature of the universe presented as I'm heavily into my fantasy/sci-fi games and films ect already, although I had not recently read many novels that would be comparable.
I did find during reading Thud! that I occasionally had the feeling there were jokes and 'hintings at' that were whooshing over my head so to speak. These incidents didn't however prove to be a hindrance in actually following the story, and if anything made me look forward to re-reading in a few years with a bit more background to understand all the elements of the book more completely.

I'm 8/9 books in now and I would say I've found them all perfectly accessible. It just seems to get better and better the more you read really, I'm addicted! :laugh: Honestly, I'm so thankful for his writings. I feel like I've discovered a literary gold mine! And I'm also really happy that it's lead me to discover this lovely, worth-while forum :)

Happy-Fish

May 8, 2011
Gloucester
I've been lurking for a while but I've decided to join in.

Some of the posters are making me feel old :eek:

1 & 2. I was looking for something new and a friend lent me CoM. It was ~1988 and I could only get LF and ER from the library although I haven't checked I don't think Terry had too many more published at that point!

3. Unfortunately Terry can't write them as quckly as I can read them ;) I've got everything TP has produced, and since those first three they've been bought and read in publication order. I originally bought them in paperback, then when I got a job I bought them in hardback as soon as they came out. :laugh:

Happily Pratchett's benefit from multiple re-readings and as you mature as a person you get more from the text. 8)

4. When the new one's out later this year I'll read that. At the moment I'm re-reading the Witches series as I have harboured ambitions to be Granny Weatherwax since ~1988.

5. Reading them in order has given me an appreciation for how Terry's style and the Discworld have matured. I don't think you need to read them in order though, there is enough context to read them as you come across them. I would venture that CoM and LF may put off some potential readers as his deftness and lightness isn't as well formed in those earliest books.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I agree, Happy-Fish ! The books demand to be read more than once. You certainly won't get everything the first time you rwad them.

Take The Truth for example. I've read it loads of times, but it was only on my recent rereading that I spotted an awful pun. It's the bit where William and Vimes have a row and Sam waving his truncheon around and William is yeilding his notebook.

'Now you put your notebook down, lad.' he suggested in a quiet voice. 'That way, it's just me and you. No . . . clash of symbols.'
:rolleyes: :laugh: I can't believe I neverf saw that before. :oops:

Welcome to the site, Happy-Fish - I'm glad you took the plunge. :laugh:

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
Tonyblack said:
I agree, Happy-Fish ! The books demand to be read more than once. You certainly won't get everything the first time you rwad them.

Take The Truth for example. I've read it loads of times, but it was only on my recent rereading that I spotted an awful pun. It's the bit where William and Vimes have a row and Sam waving his truncheon around and William is yeilding his notebook.

'Now you put your notebook down, lad.' he suggested in a quiet voice. 'That way, it's just me and you. No . . . clash of symbols.'
:rolleyes: :laugh: I can't believe I neverf saw that before. :oops:

The pen being mightier than the sword! ;)

rockershovel

Lance-Corporal
Feb 8, 2011
I started reading them many years ago, I travel a great deal ( oil industry ) and read all sorts of stuff. They were definitely a cut above some of the dross you buy in airports and railway stations and I've enjoyed them and stayed with them.

I've never yet bought a hardback although I've had a few as presents or as books left in my cabin by my predecessor.

On the whole I'd suggest that someone coming to them fresh would do well to skip Equal Rites ( because it differs to much from the subsequent canon ) and possibly Making Money ( because of the similarities to Going Postal ).

One book which hasn't had a mention elsewhere but I enjoyed hugely, is Maskerade.

Teppic

Lance-Corporal
Jan 29, 2011
Outskirts of Londinium
rockershovel said:
On the whole I'd suggest that someone coming to them fresh would do well to skip Equal Rites ( because it differs to much from the subsequent canon ) and possibly Making Money ( because of the similarities to Going Postal ).
Eek! :eek:

Seriously, I know you're just answering the questions in this thread, but I think we know by now that people have wildly different favourites. I don't think missing out books is good advice for a new reader.

Equal Rites is a nice introduction to Granny's character and I think you really appreciate just how much Terry's style matures in such a short time when you read Wyrd Sisters straight afterwards. The former is a fun book with a few witty points about gender stereotypes, the latter a full-blown Shakespearian parody with a lot more depth but just as fun.

And Making Money is similar to Going Postal in so many ways but it's a great book about the city of Ankh Morpork's workings. I love all the books which have the city as a character in itself and I think both the Moist books do this very well.

If you're going to miss out any of them, skip Reaper Man, incredibly frustrating book imho. ;)

No, but seriously, reading them in order of the story arcs is the best advice I could give, and make your own mind up about what's to like and what's not to like. 8)

rockershovel

Lance-Corporal
Feb 8, 2011
I've felt for a long while that it's a great pity that the novella and short story have gone out of favour.

Animal Farm, Brave New World, Scoop! ( which says more about the press than The Truth in half the length ), Conrad's 'the Secret Agent' and 'Lord Jim' .. I recently read Robert Silverberg's collection 'Sailing to Byzantium' and what a treat THAT was.

Reaper Man is a classic example of a really good novella padded out into a fairly large novel. Keep the 'Bill Door/Miss Flitwick' thread and ditch the rest completely. Unseen Academicals has a touch of this. The 'Moist' books could be easily condensed into a single volume containing two novellas, akin to Colour of Magic ( which I tend to think is a better book than people give it credit for )

I'd also take a similar view of the Tiffany books, especially Wintersmith and I Shall Wear Midnight seems to have a dose of Niven's Syndrome, the attempt to combine and unify a number of threads and elements which are not originally consistent or related, or have said everything that can usefully be said about the subject ( especially the Nac Mac Feegle ). TP is fairly lax about canon and continuity when it suits him, and it shows in this book.

Last Continent doesn't work for me at all, being driven almost entirely by the need to include a range of gags and themes which can't be used anywhere else.

Carpe Jugulem is in the same vein ( FX GROANS )

I rather enjoy the semi-self-contained parodies like Small Gods, Maskerade, Pyramids and Eric/Faust which stand partly outside the main canon. Likewise Last Hero, which I rather enjoyed... perhaps it's just me.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
rockershovel said:
<snip>perhaps it's just me.
I think it must be just you. I don't think I've ever read a post that I disagree with as much as that post.

I wouldn't change a single word of the Tiffany books and the series as it is is completely necessary as we are seeing Tiffany at various stages in her life and in her training. Even with the two later books - the Tiffany of Wintersmith is a somewhat different person to the one in ISWM. She's in a totally different circumstance and the issues addressed in the books are different. The reader grows with Tiffany and sees things through her eyes.

Reaper Man - you need the different story arcs because they compliment each other. They show cause and effect. They also mark a change in the Discworld series - a letting go of the old ways and an introduction to a more industrial age.

I'm not a fan of Making Money, but it's a different book and a different Moist in the two. The first book is very much a voyager of discovery, Making Money is a more 'what happens next' sequel. The two don't belong in the same book.

I think you may have missed the point in CJ and Last Continent. Yes there are all sorts of references to vampires and Australia respectively, but that's not really what the books are about. Carpe Jugulum in particular is an excellent book. I think LC is much weaker, but the whole theme of Creationism v Evolution is very well done.

Oddly enough, with the exception of Small Gods at the end of your post, you've listed some of my least favourite books. Books that I tend to think of as Pratchett Lite. :laugh:

But hey, it wouldn't do if we were all the same. ;)

Fragus

Constable
Aug 2, 2012
Milton Keynes
www.leutyworld.co.uk
Okay, here we go

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?

My friends and I all used to play AD&D round one of their parents house, their parents played too! My friends mother handed me a paperback and said that I would enjoy it and I should borrow it.

2. What was your first Discworld book?

That book was The Colour of Magic.

3. Will you read more?

I started buying the books as and when I wanted a holiday read. Unfortunately I am not a fast reader. Good Omens has been read to death, well the first hundred pages or so. I put books down and then have to start again. I have only fully read a handful of the early ones.

No idea, started on UA recently, but only read half a dozen pages.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

I started with TCoM, but I think (looking at bookshelf), you could probably pick up any of them as they are pretty much singular reads all set in one world.

Nomad

Lance-Constable
Jun 12, 2012
1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?

I was in the library and saw books that had very funny covers. So I took one. It happened about 3 years ago. The funny thing is that my teacher had recomended the Discworld books to my class for 3 years already, but I didnt pay attention. :mrgreen:

2. What was your first Discworld book?

I think that the first book was Sourcery, but it could have been also Wyrd Sisters. Cant be sure, my memory is really bad.

3. Will you read more?

I will surely read more, when I get my hands on some of the books. :mrgreen:

Wintersmith, The Truth or Snuff. Whichever I will find first.

The books are fun to read anyways, so I think that the backround knowledge isnt necessery, but I still started to read them in the right order. As good as i could, because I cant buy the books and all the books arent in the same libray. I have used 5 different librarys to read the series. I only own Going Postal, it was a gift for graduation.

User Menu

Newsletter